iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving logs

Started by markkelly, October 16, 2011, 10:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Yes they had a nice spiral to them. Actually I blew a nice photo shoot due to rain. A forester and 3 other wood workers found a 20" plus pacific yew around the 1500' ft level of the cascade mt. range by concrete Wa. 40 miles away. Any way they packed 4 ea. 8' logs in the pickup. Still cant figure out how they loaded them by hand. 300 yr old yew and we spent 2-1/2 hours cutting bow staves, turnning blanks and 2" slabs. I learned alot and mill performed great.. Fun morning milling.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

PA_Walnut

Reviving this thread, since I recently scored a Brindle tank hauler for moving big logs.

@Ironwood and others using these for beast-logs, how do you move or pick-up the log enough to get a chain under it? I don't think a cant hook will get it.  :D

I have spent some time, working on overhauling mine with new electrics/wiring, replacing winch cables, and making it road-worthy. Will upload some pix to detail.

Thx for tips from those who have gone before me!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

mredden

Trailer and winch.

Look up "PARBUCKLE". In the Deep South it's sometimes called "cross hauling.

Wanna do it on the cheap? Find a boat graveyard and buy a trailer for very little. Cheap alterations with 4x4s and bolts can make you a decent hauling trailer for one log at a time.

kelLOGg

I have 3 ways: tractor arch, fetching arch and parbuckling. The arches have mobile home tires and axle parts which can be had for close to nothing. Some welding required. ;)

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ironwood

You can use log tongs and the hydraulic portion of the lift from above to hoist. If the log has "gaps" under it, use a chain instead of monster tongs (hard to find) and less likely to have an "event" when the tongs could slip. I have moved logs so big i had to make a chain cradle, almost like an antique rope bed. I moved a monster elm crotch 8000#. Additionally, i modified my tongue to accommodate a large winch facing backward, and welded numerous 5/8" D rings along the pipe from front to back to create the points to run my chains through to make the chain "bed" or pull from any point of angle. YMMV, 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

When I am cutting,I try to lay something down for the tree to land on and keep it up in he air. But if it's a yard tree,than not many small trees around. ;D
@Ironwood,2 posts in the last 2½ years. :o  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Hey Ironwood, good to see you back on here. Don't stay away so
long..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Yeah Ironwood, what they said!

Good to see you commenting, don't be a stranger...

Herb

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Ironwood on March 17, 2019, 04:58:03 PMYou can use log tongs and the hydraulic portion of the lift from above to hoist. If the log has "gaps" under it, use a chain instead of monster tongs (hard to find) and less likely to have an "event" when the tongs could slip. I have moved logs so big i had to make a chain cradle, almost like an antique rope bed. I moved a monster elm crotch 8000#. Additionally, i modified my tongue to accommodate a large winch facing backward, and welded numerous 5/8" D rings along the pipe from front to back to create the points to run my chains through to make the chain "bed" or pull from any point of angle. YMMV, 

@Ironwood thanks for those tidbits. That's helpful info! Mine uses electric winches (Strong-Arm) that are rated for 4500# so I'm guessing #8000 would doable. I had not thought about D-rings or the winch, but both are fabulous ideas. 

Spent time yesterday, putting a new tongue jack (had one in the center of the tongue which was busted out...1/2 steel BROKEN...apparently was left down and hit hard--REALLY hard. Put a $$$ deep cycle battery and box on tongue also. May have to move for a winch now. :-\ I just started learning to MIG weld, so might be good practice for me. 

Mine has cross-members with a small V in them that ride on the side and then are placed across the bar for hauling, but I supposed that the D-ring, chain method would be better for beasts, since it would not require lifting it so high. Any pix you could share?

I'll grab a pic of mine today so I can add some interest here. 

Next chores: new pain job, hook up the electric brakes which someone cut, and new wire-ropes on the winches. (which requires complete removal). Nothing is ever quite as easy as it seems. ::)

Thanks for taking time-out. Someone said it's been 2 years, so good to have you back!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Ironwood

Thanks for the the welcome back...just been busy with "life" , kids, small farm, cabin, and i don't do as much "forestry" urban or otherwise. 

I don't have any pictures. If yours has all winches and cables it's an older unit. The newer ones have an electric over hydraulic system and two hydraulic cylinders from above that angle outward to a spreader bar (heavy box tube) and suck the load upward. I think i have an old spreader bar here somewhere (saved it for the steel, they are about 6' long. 

Where in Pa are you?  
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

PA_Walnut

Roger that. Mine has two winches and cables and a snatch-block arrangement. I will take some pix, to illustrate.
I am in central PA, about 45 south of Harrisburg. 
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Mossy Chariot

Great thread, lots of good solutions!

I am considering purchasing a power tilt car hauler type trailer with a winch.  I need to be able to pickup logs from various locations that do not have means to load for me.  I also need to be able to haul my tractor and side by side UTV at times.

Has anyone utilized this approach to haul logs?  Any pros or cons anyone sees?

Thanks guys!!!
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

tule peak timber

My pickup truck.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mtoo747

tule peak timber, that is a sweet set-up  8)
Did you build it yourself?

tule peak timber

It is second generation design. My first design worked for years but wiped out the frame and bed of the truck. On this design I hired two welders to strip the truck, fortify the frame , add a second frame with improved winch mount and a few other things.This set up works in conjunction with a trailer to develop a decent load. Rob

Ironwood

I had a log bed I built on an F550, I put a large roller on the back, 4"  schedule 80 pipe with some large bearings from a jointer, worked well for the monster logs that my 5500lb Hiab crane could only lift one end of...i just tack welded the bearing races in place. .:)

Simple Jack

I use a Mustang Skid Loader. Was going to use it today to move some logs, but too wet.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 18, 2019, 09:34:46 PMIt is second generation design. My first design worked for years but wiped out the frame and bed of the truck. On this design I hired two welders to strip the truck, fortify the frame , add a second frame with improved winch mount and a few other things.This set up works in conjunction with a trailer to develop a decent load. Rob

That's a brilliant invention. Did you ever get pulled over by DOT for hauling a beast log? I would guess some would near double the weight rating for the truck. Maybe they just shake their heads and figure, "Not worth the pain..." ;D:D:D

Since my tank trailer has not stated weight limits, I assume they'd just rate the total of truck and trailer to see if it's within the limits. Guess I better up the tax (weight class) on my truck. 
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

tule peak timber

Pa, I've had no problems with DOT as far as hauling logs but I seldom use the truck. I find it far more efficient to pay for semi loads of logs while I do something else.
  When it comes to weight this same truck would haul fresh fish for me every week when I commercially fished in the 90's. 5-6 thousand pounds in the bed and another 6 thousand pounds in my towed trailer. These are measured weights at the market on delivery. Not bad for an F-250, and that was every week, always in the middle of the night....

Jeff

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 19, 2019, 09:42:11 AMalways in the middle of the night....
:D   We used to haul lumber that way.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!