iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inchworms cruising timber

Started by kelLOGg, May 02, 2021, 08:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

The last 2 nights I have seen hundreds of worms ascending a white oak and the leaves show their effect.
The pic doesn't capture all of them. Will they kill the tree or just stunt the growth?

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

Looks like tent caterpillars? They seem to prefer our cherry and hickory, can't say that I've noticed them in white oak so not sure. They do seem to be off to a good start this year.

DonW

Hopefully it's not Thaumethopea processionea which can thrive on oak. They hatch in the ground and migrate into the crown to feed. As i understand there is no threat to the tree but as they shead the hair becomes airbourne and can cause major irritation even lodging in your eye. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

bitternut

If you don't see any tents in the trees my money says that they are gypsy moths which do not make tents. Not good for the trees health. Some times you will see people put burlap around the trunk of a tree treated with pesticide to kill them. Birds don't seem to feed on them because of the bristols on their body.

Wudman

My guess is a cankerworm.  We had a severe infestation here a few years back that defoliated many of the oaks in the neighborhood.  It was the first time I had ever seen the widespread defoliation.  They will stress the tree, but most should recover.  Imidacloprid applied systemically will take care of them if you have a yard tree that you want to protect.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

kelLOGg

We have cherry trees in which I have seen the "tents". No tents yet in the oak but I'm keeping an eye on it.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

samandothers

Here in Charlotte I would see oaks wrapped with what looked like a 6" or so wide band, I believe it was very tacky/sticky.  I don't recall the critter they were attempting to keep away from the canopy.   I was mostly in the area close to down town on Providence Rd.  
From an on line search about banding trees from a vendor:
"Tree Banding is a mechanical barrier that is fitted to the tree. The flightless moths must climb the tree to lay their eggs. The band is designed to force the bug to crawl over it, not underneath. We use a non-toxic adhesive, Tanglefoot. It is applied in a timed manner allowing it to be in place for more than 95% of the migration period. There are a number of methods used and 'acceptable', however some methods are more effective than others."

"We remove all of our bands FREE OF CHARGE, starting in April. Leaving the band on over extended periods of time is as destructive to the tree as the Canker Worms can be! Insects and mold can devastate the tree as well as leave a long lasting ring around the trunk."

A link to a site that gives some more detail about the banding in Charlotte.
Cankerworm Banding 2020 - TreesCharlotte

kelLOGg

I recall seeing those bands on trees - AND I saw them in Charlotte - my home town. I grew up about a mile from Providence and Queens Rds.

samandothers

Quote from: kelLOGg on May 04, 2021, 11:51:33 AM
I recall seeing those bands on trees - AND I saw them in Charlotte - my home town. I grew up about a mile from Providence and Queens Rds.
Small world!  That is where I saw them, beautiful area!  Drove by there for the last 21 years of employment.  Good luck with the worms there sir.

kelLOGg

The worms seem to be through ascending the tree and and are now dining on it. No tents yet.

bitternut

How about getting a close up picture of the perpetrators. That would tell all whether you had canker worms, tent caterpillars, or gypsy's. They all look different. One clear picture would easily solve your mystery. smiley_huh

kelLOGg

I don't see any more activity on leaves or trunk. It's like they finished the salad and skipped the entree. ;D I'll keep looking.

Thank You Sponsors!