Sponsors:

What a waste !

Started by whitepe, December 29, 2003, 08:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepe

We got together with my side of the family at my brother's
house south of Fort Wayne on Friday the 26th. Spent
the 25th at Becky's folks.  Two doors west of my brother
was a new house on a large 4+ acre wooded lot.  
On the lot was a hugh pile of logs all piled up high
like they were going to burn them.  Lots of beech, oak
etc. all 20 inch plus diameter.  The new house was built by my brother's neighbor's son who is in his late 20's.   All of the trees that he has cleared have either been burned or turned into firewood.   After he built the house, there was one tree
about 30 feet from the house that he wanted to take down.
He thought he could direct it's fall with a Ford Roadmaster tractor.  Well you can guess the rest. The tree drug the
ford backwards like a kid's toy tractor and the tree
took out the house to the tune of $25K damage.
I think the tree was insulted that all of his friends have been
turned into firewood or destroyed.   ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

RavioliKid

Wow! Doesn't the waste of good trees make your skin crawl?! >:(

RavioliKid

EZ

Every time I turn around somebodys wasting good could be lumber. If they dont want it they could give it to somebody or sell it to someone.
Still dont understand the cities of why they dont want the city trees being use for lumber.
Alot of stuff dont make sence to me, but these two things dont make any sence at all.
EZ

johncinquo

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

shopteacher

I've seen developers dig huge trenches, push all the trees they cut down into the trench, put a huge fan on each end and burn those green trees as if the were kiln dried :o.  
   They won't allow you to scavage them either due to insurance problems or holding up production.  You can't believe all the black cherry that has been burned in this manner.  Such a waste.   :( :( :(  Breaks Old Butch's heart to see all those good peeing spots go to waste ;D.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

karl

Glad at least one tree got revenge. 8) 8) 8)

karl
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Sawyerfortyish

They won't let you burn them here so they chip everything. Makes me cringe to see those 24" and bigger logs blow through the chipper. Everybodys in a hurry no time to let me move the trees with a picker truck. Got to get em out of the way get done so they can get paid.

AtLast

At one of the municipalities we cantract with they have a desiginated area that they set the " good logs"..this same city allows residences to come in and cut from the " scrap pile" for fire wood. Well..I was in there the other day grading the logs when in pulls this guy....he pulls RIGHT up to this " desoginated pile" ..pulls out his chain saw and says to me " these are gunna make some GREAT firewood"....well I gave him a look like he was out of his mind and told him about the project....he looked at ME like I was out of my mind and actually said " why would you wanna cut these into lumber its spose to be for firewood?"....well...I lost it....I asked him " what kinda idiot cant take a hint from seein these seperated from the rest of the " log pile" and stacked in such a way to even consider thinkin about using them as firewood...if I ever see you anywhere near this pile again or find out youve cut from this pile I toss your chainsaw through the chipper" well needless to say he pit his saw back into his truck and left....well I get a call from the DPS super who asks me about this and I tell him the entire story...his responce was " that guys costin me money"  :D...so the next time I went into this yard they had posted a sign that read " THESE LOGS ARE NOT TO BE TOUCHED BY RESIDENCES IF CAUGHT YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM THE YARD AND FINED".... ;D...need I say more?  ;D

VA-Sawyer

They lost a lot of trees along the Yorktown-Jamestown Federal Parkway. I asked a ranger about getting some of the down trees. Was told it was a federal offence to remove the down trees from the parkway. When I asked what they were doing with the down trees..." Paying a crew to remove them and haul them to the dump".  Our tax dollars hard at work!!!
Go figure......

Rick
VA-Sawyer

whitepe

Some of these stories of all of the waste just make me shake
my head in disbelief.   It even takes God one hundred
years or longer  to make a nice sized oak tree.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

rebocardo

> Our tax dollars hard at work!!!

My mother worked at a school (college) where they were having an out with the old, in with the new. They threw away old Apple computers, that at that time, still were selling for $300-$600 used! Unfortunately I did not get there before the dumpster guy.

Though I did get some things like a desk and cabinets that I still use today almost 15 years later, mainly because they were too heavy to throw into a dumpster.

rebocardo

BTW: I sold 2+ cords worth of oak firewood this year that I gathered from the curb in my neighborhood. Only sad thing was I missed the rest of one tree that was too big for me (at the time) because it was about 31 inches wide. City got the trunk before I could finish and now its on its way to being compose.

:-(

Don P

If you get a chance to peek at a NC map look near the center of the state, find Jordan lake. They pushed and burned it, said they were in too big a time crunch :(

Mike_Barcaskey

ya know what they say,
"count to ten first"
well I simmered down some.................and came back to this post
I agree there always maybe a better use for something, but IMNSHO firewood is just as righteous (well almost) as lumber

now I'm making some assumptions, one of which is most of the guys on here are mostly hobbists/part-timers in lumbering
now I eat off my biz and a good part of that is tree work
(the rest is writing, guiding, trapping)
I cant find an honest lumber guy around here to save my a$$
they whine and cry about picking up 2 or 3 cherry logs and when I say I'll deliver, they say they dont buy anything from a suburban area (too much metal)
I've been offered as little as $50 for a cherry or red oak log 20"+ in diameter and 12 feet long

Now a cord of wood (a stack 4x4x8) is 128 cubic feet
it contains approximately 80 cubic feet of pure wood

A log 18" in diameter and 16 feet long contains 88 cubic feet of wood
started out selling cords at $140 and the last three cords I sold this winter I got $180 each
I cant sell that log for that kind of money

economically, it's the smartest thing

now my dad and a friend have a saw, but they got more wood than they can handle, so the rest is firewood to pay the bills

anyone need some fire wood?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Mike_Barcaskey

where the he11 did that dancing guy come from?????????
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

pasbuild

A few years back one of our local roads was relocated the contractor had six D9 dozers pushing all the trees in a 250' X 5 mile stretch in to big burn piles. I asked the contractors son why they didn't log it off as it was a nice hardwood ridge and was told they needed the fuel to burn the stumps.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

rebocardo

>where the he11 did that dancing guy come from

That is a figure 8 followed by a ) from "add smileys. Gets me every once in a while.

>anyone need some fire wood?

Me! I sold all mine too! I had someone even buy my green stuff cut from Sept.

I know what you are saying about the firewood being worth more because noone will pay anything close for a good log. I decided to shop the competition and saw in the big local newspaper (AJC) in GA they were selling hardwood cords for $300! Be pretty hard to beat unless you sawed the log yourself for urban timber.

Thank You Sponsors!