iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cedar limbs and what to do with them

Started by jeffroe, January 24, 2005, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffroe

This was in the WANTED section, I moved it to GENERAL as it seemed to be more appropriate here. VA-Sawyer

Im starting to harvest a 300 acre track this week and I have thousands of limbs on the ground now and Imwondering if there is any market for them, its a shame to just burn them like I did on the last 150 acre track I just finished.
If anyone has or know where or who to call to find someone who could ccome out and chip up by the ton or how ever they do it please let me know
Thanks Jeffroe
JeffRoe & Co.

WH_Conley

Check with Cedarman, not in your area but he seems to know quite a bit about this.
Bill

Dangerous_Dan

If it's red and smells nice when ground up it may be worth something. Cedar mulch around me sells for $30 a yard and up.  You could hire a tubgrinder to come in and grind it up for you then sell it to landscapers.  
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

devo

What kind of cedar is it? Some types of cedar boughs are processed for oil, but thats about all I know about it.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Cedarman

To make mulch the needles must be very brown and dry. If you grind green or very damp material, it will start composting and turn very dark, almost black.  To hire a grinder, you must have lots of material. Smaller grinders need at least 20 ton per hour and bigger ones need up to 80 or 100 tons per hour to make them economical.  If you drag your trees to a central spot and delimb, you could have all the limbs and tops fairly close together.  Wholesale, cedar mulch goes for 25 to 50 dollars per ton.  Retail is whatever your local market will bear.
As I hear it a lot of smaller cedar logs are going into mulch in Texas.  We have lots of experience grinding slabs and edging strips, but are just gearing for the whole tree mulching business. Am always glad to throw my two pennies around.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

jeffroe

Thanks for the input everyone. I seem to be having trouble finding some one around here that wants to come in to grind them up.
Im right in the center of houston san antonio austin victoria every town is 70 to 96 miles away from me, but no one will come out and take a look.Mayby I need to find a smaller Co. to talk to .
 8)
Thanks
JeffRoe & Co.

WH_Conley

I noticed a whole tree chipper on Ebay, wasn't interested so didn't look close.
Bill

Steve

Too bad it isn't fall. In the Northwest you can sell the boughs by the pound for Christmas decorations. I had friends that made litterally tons of wreaths and swags to decorate downtown Seattle with.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Thank You Sponsors!