iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it

Started by roscoe234, February 27, 2010, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodtroll

I did not find any additional photos, but with that little bit shown and described I do not think black locust. It looks like elm, Siberian Elm. The bark matches some trees I walk by every day.
Trees grown in a dry climate.

SwampDonkey

Does Siberian elm have narrow sapwood? All we have in my area is American and it has wide sap and lighter colored heart. Elm bark usually has layered color differences and ribbon pore figure on the end grain. Can't see the pores in the images.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

roscoe234

sorry about the photos........gonna fix'm   NOW!!! I had begun to think we had t his fig'd out...but not so sure....was really hoping it was locust.....be a nice hot fire.....next winter!!!
RR

woodtroll

In dry areas the sap wood can be narrow. Plus that bark is thick typical of s. elm in an arid climate.
Not as good as b.l. for fire wood but still will work.
I will try to get some bark pictures today of each.

woodtroll

S elm

black locust

Images are small here you can see them better in my album.

Fixed that. SwampDonkey ;)

beenthere

Quote from: woodtroll on March 04, 2010, 09:22:44 AM

Images are small here you can see them better in my album.

You can sub these for the full-size pics from your gallery by modifying your post. Didn't see these thumbnails in your gallery. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

That's the black locust bark I see up here. And I don't see that in the original post.

The elm bark posted is pretty typical of a large diameter elm you see up here , even though we only have American Elm. When they die it slips off the trunk in large sheets.

roscoe234

sorry   but im having probs getting these shots where i want them to be!!!
RR

roscoe234

Meant to ask at the last post....and forgot.....If the tree was.....is......elm......it wouldnt split well......????
RR

WDH

Quote from: roscoe234 on March 05, 2010, 09:12:12 AM
Meant to ask at the last post....and forgot.....If the tree was.....is......elm......it wouldnt split well......????

Nope.  Elm has spiral grain and is a bad actor when it comes to splitting. 

The picture you posted does not offer enough detail of the end grain nor the bark to make an ID.  Hopefully you can get the picture posting thing worked and give us a little more detail.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I'm throwing my hat into the black locust camp.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Quote from: roscoe234 on March 05, 2010, 09:07:14 AM
sorry   but im having probs getting these shots where i want them to be!!!

Looks like you haven't set up your own gallery yet. I think that is the first step.  :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

He's got a gallery, but I fed him the wrong number for the link from here.

Should be 13536  not 103536

roscoe234

i DO appreciate the help......and I'm gonna go with B L.......i'll letcha know next winter what a hot fire it makes!!!
RR

Ron Wenrich

Here's some more of Roscoe's pictures:

I ain't buying black locust.  I'm leaning more to the elm. 

I've got some ash I can't split with a maul, even though ash is supposed to be easy to split.  I've split some hickory with ease, even though its supposed to be hard to split.  I even had some elm that was easy to split. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

PoDunk

I just took these pictures of a BL log that was in my wood pile, me and dad just cut around 30 cord of this about a month and a half ago.
In the picture of the split log you can see the maul that I just used to split it and two hits made three pieces of firewood about 24" long with a lite swing.
The wood darkens to a dark honey color after its exposed to the air for a week or two.
Looks like the same stuff to me.
One thing I have noticed is the bark frome a young tree looks different from an older tree and also varies depending where its located on the tree.... but im for sure no expert !

WDH

With the additional pics, I am with Ron.  Definitely not black locust.  With that cinnamon color just under the outer bark, it looks sassafrassy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

WDH, that's what I came up with at first. It's not fresh cut and I detected some stain in an earlier picture.

stonebroke

That would have made a very good fence post or several  !!

Stonebroke

WDH

BTW, awesome pics, PoDunk  8).

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: roscoe234 on March 01, 2010, 03:22:26 PM
I've noticed the smell of a freshly split piece of this.....reminds me of the odor of the holding pen on the dairy, on a wet day, after the Holsteins were all milked and gone!!!

If it was sassafras, I doubt he would have used that discription of the way it smells.  ;)

WDH

Yep, cows and sassafras are not all that compatible  :).  Maybe it is a cow oak  :D. 

Well, that would be appropriate I guess, but it is definitely not a cow oak (swamp chestnut oak).

SwampDonkey

Well, depends and you guys have more experience with those species than me. But, if it were not fresh and laid about a few months to get stain, I believe it would stink or go sour a bit no matter what it was. :D

Ron Wenrich

Not true.  I've sawn sassafras that's been cut over a year.  It doesn't stink.  Same goes for the other dense hardwoods.  The only ones that have a natural stinkyness are black gum and elm.  Oak that have bacterial infections will also stink, but without it there is no sour smell.  If tulip poplar is cut during the hot summer, it will turn sour, but the sapwood will also turn color.  Even then, it doesn't have a barnyard smell.

Thank You Sponsors!