iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer 51HP CAT high torque starter.

Started by Dave Shepard, September 16, 2020, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Has anyone found a high torque starter for the 51 or 62 HP CAT engine? My 2008 supposedly has an improved starter, but, it sucks. From new it has always struggled to spin the engine quickly. My 48 HP Kubota spins and starts very fast. It has a gear reduction starter, whereas the CAT does not. In fact, I'm using a weak battery in the Kubota and it still starts in seconds.

This is NOT a result of a poor battery, starter, or connections. This is an engineering failure on CATs part. Just trying to find a better starter. Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

gmmills

The starter for the 62 HP cat engine is actually a Denso gear reduction starter. The starter for the 51 hp engine is the one supplied with engine and appears to not be a gear reduction unit..  WM substituted the OEM Cat starter with the Denso unit. The Denso starter is the unit that was used on the older Kubota powered mills. Not sure if the Denso starter will bolt up to the 51. I think the 51 bell housing plate is different than the 62. Check with WM and see.  

Bet if you carefully disassemble the 51hp starter it will have a significant sawdust infiltration. Might be able to clean it up and get it cranking better.    
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Dave Shepard

I'll look into the Denso unit. I think the engines are the same, with the 62 having a turbo.

It's not a sawdust issue. It's been terrible since day one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moosehunter

Keep in mind that that is a Perkins motor so there may be other options if you search perkins instead of cat.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

gmmills

They are the same engine block. The 62hp engine, mounted on LT70, has a bell housing mounting plate that is a WM fabricated weldment. The Denso starter is mounted directly to that plate. Don't think the bolt hole mounting patterns are the same between the two different starters.  
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

customsawyer

If it makes you feel any better my 62 hp. Cat is hard or slow to start. My Yanmar will crank in seconds with 10 percent of the effort. Even after I have been sawing I have to let the glow plugs warm things up for at least 5 to 10 seconds on the Cat.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sealark37

It astounds me that two diesel engine manufacturers who enjoy such sterling reputations, can merge and produce engines with so many small defects!

ladylake

They cheapened them to make money off their once good name.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Replaced my starter and it's 100 percent easier to start. Not as easy as the Yanmar but I'll take it over what I've been dealing with.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

petefrom bearswamp

The only starting issue I had with my perkapillar was it was cold blooded when 35 degrees or lower.
had to shim the throttle to keep it running. 
Always seemed to turn over pretty quickly with the supplied starter.
The last several years, not trying to make a living with the mill,  I just didn't saw at colder temps
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

My mill was delivered April 8th. Still cold nights that time of year and it was very hard to start. It'll start in the winter now, but it's kind of a joke compared to my Kubota, which will start with one cycle of the glow plugs and then idle on its own at -10. 

Thank You Sponsors!