iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Earthquake early warnings.

Started by Ianab, September 22, 2022, 06:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Was relaxing here at home last night (about 9pm) when the phone gives an unusual "bleep". Glance at it, and it's an earthquake warning to expect moderate shaking from a mag 5.5 quake situated about 100 miles South. 

Nothing happened for about 5 seconds, then we got some mild shaking for about 10 seconds. Turns out to be a 5.8, but deep and out at sea so no damage, but widely felt over most of the country. 

But it was a bit freaky getting told about the quake before it started. The propagation time for the quake gives enough time for it to be picked up, measured and a warning sent out to every phone in the area it's expected to affect. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

That's very interesting.

I've only experienced one earthquake, it was quite interesting. 

A bit of notice could make a difference in people's safety. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bigblockyeti

That's impressive they're able to predict the speed of the quake through the ground.  Sound (movement) through air is pretty fast, way faster in water and I expect quite a bit more so through this ball of dirt and rock we live on.  I'd be interested in seeing the time between detection which would obviously be at least a little time after it start, then how quickly data can be compiled then warning messages sent out.  No doubt it could certainly help saves someone's life!

rusticretreater

The seismometer equipment today is really sensitive, so they immediately know what is going on.  Since its all computers now, it can figure it out and trigger the emergency messages right away.  I saw a video where the guys doing strip mining were going to set off a long line of explosives to break up the surface for scraping.  They had to notify the officials and wait for everyone to be notified and the clearance to blast come back.  You can't hide a rocket launch, underground bomb testing or anything else from them now.

I get severe weather reports over the phone too.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

bigblockyeti

My brother reminded me when he worked for GE Power in Greenville, SC, they had to notify local officials when certain events were going to take place.  They dropped something(?) that weighed 300T+ once and it only fell 4" but they got a call right away from the AHJ to see if it was them.  I suspect with an array of seismometers at known distances from each other, they can probably triangulate where a seismic event originated as well.

barbender

I hear there was a guy in SE Minnesota that pulled a stunt back when Tannerite was first becoming a thing. He loaded up an old dump truck with the stuff, shot it and set it off, reportedly blasting the truck apart. Well there is also the Prairie Island nuclear facility down in that area, apparently the detonation was detected by siesmometers and he soon had a visit from Federal agents😬😬
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 22, 2022, 06:48:39 PM
That's impressive they're able to predict the speed of the quake through the ground.  Sound (movement) through air is pretty fast, way faster in water and I expect quite a bit more so through this ball of dirt and rock we live on.  I'd be interested in seeing the time between detection which would obviously be at least a little time after it start, then how quickly data can be compiled then warning messages sent out.  No doubt it could certainly help saves someone's life!
Doing some rough calcs, seismic waves travel through rock at about 5,000 meters / sec, about 11,000 mph. So would have reached our location about 30 secs after the quake started.  In that time the system had the approximate location and magnitude worked out and had sent out phone alerts. 
Now I saw it was a "only" a 5.x and relatively distant, so nothing to panic about. If it had been a Mag 8 I would have had time to dive for cover. Of course the worst quake is one that's shallow and close, where there is no time to send a warming. But in a big enough quake (or tsunami) the affected area is much wider, and some warning is going to be useful. 

NZ is "Ring of Fire" with  frequent earthquakes and several active volcanoes, so it's wired up with seismographs. Last time the Foo Fighters played a concert in Auckland the seismographs recorded it as a long lasting Mag 2 quake. Basically enough people dancing can be detected. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

Haha maybe we can start giving rock and metal bands a siesmometer reading rating. "Man that Slayer concert the other night registered a 3.1!"😂

bigblockyeti

barbender

Yeah I would imagine, "seemed like a great idea at the time"😂

beenthere

Sounds (no pun intended) like back in the 60's, a plan to use low frequency sound to communicate to subs around the world.

In the 1960s, US Navy officials concocted an ambitious plan: they wanted to bury a gigantic grid of cables under roughly 41 percent of the state of Wisconsin in order to turn its bedrock into the world's largest radio antenna.

https://www.vox.com/2015/4/10/8381983/project-sanguine

Called project ELF under the Sanguine project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Guydreads

The incredible advances of tech these days never cease to amaze me. I can't say that they're all good, because they're not... But MANY are.

charles mann

I was at our airbase in trilahue, Chile in late feb of this yr, waiting on a fire call when i felt my room shake for a few sec. Thinking it was someone scratching their back on the corner of the conex, i didnt think anything of it. A few minutes later, the conex really shook, which i jumped up from the chair and went outside to tell whomever it was to STOP and noticed the ground and other conexes shaking. That was my first time in an earthquake. Found out it was centered about 75 miles to the east, in the mountains and was a 4.8. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

rusticretreater

In 2011, there was a 5.8 mag earthquake in Mineral, Virginia.  It occurred at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains which then transmitted the shock wave up and down the Eastern Seaboard.  Vibrations were reported from Maine to Florida and as far west as the Mississippi River Valley.  The Washington Monument in DC was damaged due to the swaying induced.

I was driving on the interstate about 200 miles west of the epicenter at the time.  I remember seeing a nearby 18 wheeler swerve at the same time I was wondering what the hell was the matter with my car.  A few seconds later the phone rang with my daughter calling me scared to death as our house 60 miles north of my location was also shaking.

It was "only" a 5.8 mag quake, but it has been recorded as the most widely felt earthquake in the US due to the mountains transmitting the shock waves.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

My wife was in Philly that day for work and felt it.  I did not feel it here on our farm.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

I felt it. I was standing in the garage and it was a fair shaking for about 10 seconds. Not bad, but unexpected and startling for Central Virginia. Months later I found out that it tugged on the line to my underground oil tank and afterward it was only picking up the top half of the tank.
HM126

Tom King

That day in 2011, I was installing a kitchen in a house on the lake.  I heard what I thought was a big helicopter really close overhead.  I remember thinking it must have been a Chinook, but it sounded like it was running okay.

I looked out the window with the lake right in front of me to see if I saw rotor shadows on the ground, but didn't see any.  That lot had a wooden bulkhead.  The water was like glass, but I was seeing very smooth waves going out from the bulkhead, but none coming in, which I had never seen before.  Any waves going out off bulkheads had always just been bounceback waves from ones coming in.

Thinking that was strange as I was getting a farmhouse sink installed into position, I looked down at the sink, and bumped it with the heel of my hand to get it into position.  The Instant I bumped it, the whole house started rocking.  I knew what it was after a few seconds, but it was quite startling!

One helper was running a string trimmer outside, and never knew anything had happened.

Don P

We were working on a house built on a 3' deep gravel trench foundation that day. Michelle was up on a stepladder on top of a wheeled 2 buck high scaffold finishing the timberframe trusses. It woke up a retired friend down below us from a nap and he came to check us out. We never felt it. The only thing I could figure is the gravel under us absorbed the shake. If so and if it wasn't just us distracted, that would be worth investigating for shaky ground.

Tom King

Granite is real close to the top of the ground here.  The house I was working on is one of the few lake houses without a daylight basement.  They couldn't build one because the granite was too close to the top of the ground. 

I didn't build it, but it wouldn't surprise me if part of the foundation was sitting directly on Granite.  

The end of the house I was working in was part of a large great room with a high cathedral ceiling.  Probably made a pretty good speaker.

Don P

We built a dovetailed log house in Mineral, or rather in the suburbs outside of the greater metro area  :D. The soil on that site was different, red clay with chunks of sulfur mixed in with it. I've never seen that before or since. On the timberframe we were on when the quake hit, the mason also had a chimney he had done up there. He had one brick left over when he topped out and the client told him to set it on top of the chimney. When Ed called him after the quake one of the first things the gentleman said was "The brick is still up there". I think the National Cathedral also took substantial damage from that one.

Southside

FWIW here there is no granite, no gravel, just red clay, in some places 15' or more that I have dug with my excavator.  May have had an impact on the shock waves.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Type of ground sure makes a difference, softer ground can either work like a shock absorber and clam the quake, or wobble like jelly and amplify the shaking. 

As well the Richter scale that estimates the total amount of power released by the quake, there is also the Mercalli scale which is a measure of how severe the local shaking is. The modified scale that NZ uses goes from 1 to 12, where one is hardly felt, to 12 which is pretty much total destruction.  So a deep seated earthquake can measure high on the Richter scale, but if it's 50 miles below ground, then the nearest person is going to be 50 miles from the epicentre, and it hopefully isn't too damaging. But if the quake is shallow only a mile or so down (or even a surface rupture), then the MMI can be very high in the immediate area.  The Christchurch earthquakes came as a surprise as the fault lines causing the series of quakes wasn't previously known, but was actually only a mile or 2 below the surface. 

This is the 2016 Kaikoura quake. which was a 7.8 magnitude, but spread through about 21 different interlinked faults in a couple of minutes. 
GeoNet: M 7.8 Kaik?ura Mon, Nov 14 2016

We felt both quakes here, but they weren't violent, due to the distance. Probably rate it MMI of 5, but with the long duration you knew it was a major quake someplace.  You still have that nervous feeling as the shaking is building up, "How bad is it going to get, and should I take cover  ??? "

It's worth looking at the pictures, the one of the farmhouse that has been moved off it's foundations is freaky. The house had unknowingly been built over a fault line, and when it let go one end of the house was moved ~30 feet sideways in relation to the other end. The house actually stayed intact and the occupant wasn't injured, but if you can imagine your house being picked up, shaken, spun 90 deg and dropped again, you get the idea. The whole township of Kaikoura suddenly lifted about 6ft higher. Luckily it's not a high population area, and the houses are mostly like the displaced one in the pictures above. So there was damage, but not many complete failures. Roads were another story as the hills above the main road and rail line collapsed and it took months to get them open again. 

Another freaky effect is liquefaction. That's where damp sand or clay under the ground changes from "solid" to a liquid due to the vibration. It then starts bubbling up through the roads / house foundations etc. This was a big issue in Christchurch due to the geology, and several suburbs have since been abandoned due to the unstable soil, combined with fact whole areas sunk about 3ft, and is now prone to flooding. 

Don P

I remembered some striking photos from Kobe with sunken tilted buildings caused by soil liquefaction during that quake. These popped up from Turkey after the quake there in '95
Liquefaction & Shallow Foundations: Adapazari – Geotechnical Photo Album (ucdavis.edu)

Portland is on similar ground.

Thank You Sponsors!