iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost of running a nyle in NH

Started by Bruno of NH, February 06, 2020, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I'm thinking about building a kiln this Spring
A stand alone unit .
Wondering if it would be to expensive to run in the winter. 
We have some of the highest electric rates in the country.
I hope to also build a solar kiln.
Both would fit 10' material in.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Escavader

My experience in maine  on nyles kilns once they get to temp they heat themselves.get an old trailer furnace to thaw and get up to temp and your good to go
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Southside

Insulation is key.  Honestly you can't build a chamber as tight and as cheap as a used Conex reefer unit.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

That's a fact.  I just spent 2 days reinstalling a new Nyle to replace one of my old ones in my stick built kiln chamber.  I had concrete floor degrading and powdering up where the acids in the moist woody air destroyed it and concrete paint I put down every few years, I had air leaks where the floor met the wall, I had caulk seams that cracked and were leaking.  So part of the reinstall was fixing all that wear and tear in the chamber.  I put several hundred bucks into fixing and sealing what amounts to a home made walk in cooler.  Caulk, silver seal paint, floor paint, weather stripping, paintbrushes, etc.  

In contrast, my high cube reefer looks and seals as good as when I installed it several years ago.  

To me it's kind of the difference between a wooden boat and an aluminum boat.  Both float, both work, but the wooden bot requires lots of maintence and the alumiminum boat does not.  

I'll not build a stick built kiln chamber again.  

For the ultimate in efficiency, I'd install a high cube reefer in an old building or chicken house.  That would double insulate it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

K-Guy

Bruno

We use this as a guide. 4/4 green oak will require 450 kw hours per 1000 to 8% bf or green 4/4 pine 250-300 kw hours to 10-12%

That's with the ambient outside temperature of 50°F
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

offrink

This December my nyle 200 ran 4,000 bdft for about 32 days and had an electric bill of $510. 

alan gage

Quote from: offrink on February 10, 2020, 09:22:35 AM
This December my nyle 200 ran 4,000 bdft for about 32 days
Interesting, I thought leap year was 2020.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

offrink

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There is a chapter devoted to cost in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER. 

Put in your actual energy cost, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

jimbarry

I'm no scientist, and a hack at best for data logging so take this for what its worth :)  When I ran my kiln the other week for a couple days, this is what I recorded for electrical consumption. Feel free to poke holes in it.  ;D

Edit: I tried a couple times to upload a larger pic to be easier to see, but the forum software must resize afterwards.

Tom the Sawyer

Consider saving it as a .pdf and attaching it so readers could open and read it.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

jimbarry

Thanks for that. I've added  a PDF version and a xls version.

Thank You Sponsors!