iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter Sawn Spruce n Pine for flooring

Started by w_w_w_31, October 14, 2020, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w_w_w_31

Other than the appearance, is there much realistic advantage in going through the effort to saw the boards this way, over flat sawn?  Obviously quarter sawing is going to take a bit more time that just doing slabs.  But if I am doing it for myself, should I?  Will the boards be that much more stable to justify the time?  I get the effort that goes into white oak, because the fleck is amazing.

Where I am, Colorado, there are not many hardwoods at all.  I'm just trying to use what is here, and be realistic about it.

Thanks.

dave

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency

bags

Were pretty dry here in Colorado--- I wouldn't think of use'in Spruce or Ponderosa for flooring--- I do mill a lot of Doug-fir heartwood flooring in 4-6" widths.

scsmith42

From a purely aesthetic perspective, the vertical grain that results from quartersawing can have a calming effect on a room - especially if it's longer board lengths.

Plus you can double the board width w/o doubling the shrinkage rate, since most QS shrinks at 1/2 the rate across the board versus FS.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

The main reason for QS in SYP was that it wears harder than flatsawn and is less likely to shell out. I don't think it much matters in white pine but maybe in red or jack where the latewood is considerably harder and tougher than the earlywood.

kantuckid

Wearwise, there are floors in homes built in the 1700's from softer woods. IMO, it's more about if you'll be bothered by the inevitable marking a softer wood floor will take on over time and the appearance you'll be satisfied with. 
I have wide board oak floors in most of my home and even they now have marks from a few high heel shoes and kids playing, etc.. 
As for a calming effect from certain wood grains-mine are mixed flat and quarter sawn red & white oak and we seem to stay fairly calm here? :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

w_w_w_31

Thank you all for your posts and input.  I do like the idea of them lasting longer, being soft woods.  I would totally prefer quarter sawn white oak, because that is pretty much my favorite wood to work with.  But, being in the mountains of Colorado, no luck there at reasonable price.

scsmith42

Quote from: kantuckid on October 15, 2020, 08:51:49 AM
Wearwise, there are floors in homes built in the 1700's from softer woods. IMO, it's more about if you'll be bothered by the inevitable marking a softer wood floor will take on over time and the appearance you'll be satisfied with.
I have wide board oak floors in most of my home and even they now have marks from a few high heel shoes and kids playing, etc..
As for a calming effect from certain wood grains-mine are mixed flat and quarter sawn red & white oak and we seem to stay fairly calm here? :D
LOL.
My aunt and uncle on my father's side were both psychologists' - she had a masters and he was a Phd.  Years ago my wife and I visited them in Washington State and we both noticed a calming effect when we entered their house.  It was something that I could not put into words.
A subsequent discussion surrounded the choices of shapes, materials, colors, and the affect on the human psyche.  I remember being fascinated as they explained it.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kantuckid

When you enter my house your gonna be really calm  (we both have masters degrees in counseling psychology ;D)-> if you like wood cause it's surrounding you from all angles. Floors, walls, ceilings, wood furniture, so on.
In my opinion as the guy who "chopped up all the wood" that became whatever your looking at, it's what I chose with lots of help from a wife who likes wood but also knows how to make a home cheery using fabrics and our walls are loaded with artwork, mine and some from old family members who were artist as well.
Oak in Colorado is one day away in MO or AR. Take a trailer and pick up a load?
Many years ago, at a local mill, I ask a Canadian trucker what he hauled south before the hickory he was loading here for tool handles. He said he mostly hauled SPF down and hardwoods back north.
I'm currently doing the exact opposite as you and trying to score some affordable 2x6 SPF or SYP to either T&G myself or already milled. I guess we could trade out wood as I have thousands of BF of white oak standing all around me?
I am not suggesting a marketing thing as that's verboten. ;)
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

w_w_w_31

Quote from: scsmith42 on October 15, 2020, 01:39:08 PMLOL.
My aunt and uncle on my father's side were both psychologists' - she had a masters and he was a Phd.  Years ago my wife and I visited them in Washington State and we both noticed a calming effect when we entered their house.  It was something that I could not put into words.
A subsequent discussion surrounded the choices of shapes, materials, colors, and the affect on the human psyche.  I remember being fascinated as they explained it.  
I really like this added bonus, as the home I will eventually build is supposed to be a place of peace and quiet.  It does make sense to me that the long linear grain throughout the floors would add some calming.  YES!!

Thank You Sponsors!