Log I.D. Help please

Started by E-Tex, October 17, 2020, 05:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

Log ID please.  Thank you! 

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

WDH

Certainly hard to tell, but I am thinking ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

E-Tex

Danny, Ash is want I was wondering.  You had explained to me a while back about the bark....I think making a X pattern (something like that).  
The owner said oak but I just wasn't sure.

Smelt Pecan-ish!!!! 
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

WDH

I am leaning much harder on ash than oak.  Most oaks do not exhibit the interlacing ridges like you see on ash and hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

I dont have any experience with ash.. But the wire meshed blocky bark and the moldy staining pattern both lean toward hickory for me. 
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

The wood looks like ash. If it is ash I think the boards will fall apart if hit with a hammer.

kantuckid

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

bluthum

Bark characteristics are always a crap shoot but based on the wood pics I'd think hickory. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it was ash either. Insufficient evidence except that the wood is beyond even good fire wood I think.

WDH

This wood is ring porous.  Willow is diffuse porous. 

kantuckid

Bark wise it doesn't resemble any of the many types of hickory near me. 
To say it's firewood- is the wood punky or only just spalted, which doesn't make it firewood by itself. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WDH

I am pretty certain that it is ash from the bark backed up by the ring structure.  If we could only see the late wood parenchyma we would know   ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!