iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

XP Problems

Started by Paul_H, May 05, 2002, 10:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

A month ago our computers motherboard
We sent it out to be fixed,and it was upgraded with XP.

Problem is it won't recognize our Printer/scanner
It is a HP OfficeJet K60,and needs a software upgrade.Hewlett-Packard is working on it(I hope).Anybody have the same problem,or have any suggestions?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

I made up my mind a while back to boycott XP. This version of windows has decided that we are all black market software users. Did you know that everytime you change a hardware profile, you have to connect to microsoft for them to O.K. your set up to make sure that this different config is not someones attempt to install the software on an unlicensed machine?

Did you know that XP users only get a limited amount of these approvals, and then your licensing number will expire, leaving you with the only option of repurchasing?

I will continue to use 98 thankyou. Microsoft has determined we are all software pirates and we must now prove we are not. I think I'll be a rebel and go out and buy a used computer and install ANOTHER COPY OF MY LEGALLY PURCHASED SOFTWARE ON IT TOO...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

I haven't found any real advantages with XP other than it doesn't freeze like Windows 98.I don't know much about computers,but it seems to me,I either wait for software,buy a new scanner(won't happen) or uninstall XP,and put Windows 98 back.
Jeff,are there any other options/programs besides Bill Gates and his Bullies?

Kevin

Paul, what browser are you using?

Jeff

There are other Operating systems, much more stable then Windows, problem is, you will have very few program ops for them. If it was me, I would go back to 98, save the XP experience for when you decide to get a whole new system. I am afraid you will run into more bugaboos then just the scanner and printer.

I can remember loosing a lot of my software to incapatability when I went from windows 95 to 98. Also had your same problem, H.P. Scanner would not work. Had to wait for a software fix and a cd mailed to us. Took about 3 months.

Scott_R

I don't have any probems with my Apple computers. I run business, cad, browser, gps and paint programs. They handle my digital camera, scanner and several printers. All the main programs are out there for the Apple. Not as many games are available but who has time. If you must have Micro$oft office it is available and is said to be better than the Windows version. I don't choose to support a company that treats it's customers the way they do so I use Appleworks and it does all that I need and more. The bull about Apples costing more is just that. Not being able to use your computer or paying someone to configure it to make it work is expensive. Just my 2ยข. Scott_R

Jeff

Well, if your getting on the forum and your using an Apple, I say Good for You! Its gotta be good!

Steve

I just wanted to say that I've been accessing all of this site with my Imac and everything is as it should be.
I'm not a computer whiz at all but I have had nothing but Macs all my computer life and they all work fine for me.
The business attitude of Microsoft is more than I can stand to support.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Jeff

I have always been concerned whether our Mac friends had any trouble with the design of the site. I try to make sure that I don't do anything that would knowingly cause another OS trouble, but not having a mac I dont know for sure if ya'll might be having any difficulties. Glad to know that apparently you're not!

Paul_H

Let me tell you about my 10 hour XP NIGHTMARE.Right after my last post,I said to the family "I'm gettin rid of XP". The kids said "Good".My son Tom and I sat down and I clicked on Uninstall. 8)
Windows 98 came up after XP was gone,then users came up,I clicked on mine...16 bit colour,start button no work.No modem,no graphics card,etc,etc. :o No problem.I'll reload.Computer tells me it couldn't tell it's butt from a hole in the ground.Just like a virus,there were remnants of XP here and there,but nothing worked.Try reloading win 98 second edition,sorry,try again. >:(
I called a friend,and he came over at 7:00 pm.He said he never saw a desktop so messed up.Upshot was,we relaoded XP and 2 1/2 hours later I'm back where I started. ???
So my friend is going to try to get the printer working,and I'm going to call someone before I do that again,cause I still don't know what I did wrong:-/

Kevin,the browser is a IE3.01.Does that sound right?

Jeff

You cant just uninstall XP you have to reformat your computer and start with a fresh install of 98

Kevin

The new version is 6.00.2600.0000.
Maybe it`s your browser that's giving you the problem?

Jeff

Kevin, he's having trouble with the new hardware profile for his scanner and printer. The software and drivers were developed for win 95/98 and there is an incompatability problem with win XP.

Thank You Sponsors!