iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log problems

Started by Bigdogpc, October 28, 2003, 01:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdogpc

Talked to the county forester today since I was hopeful of buying some logs.  It seems nobody is cutting less than tree length logs in Marion county (FL).  Worse than that, almost nobody is cutting hardwood since mixed hardwood is only $16 a ton vs pine at $36 a ton.  I am mildly depressed...I was afraid I would have multiple trucks lined up looking to drop 100" logs and I wouldn't have the money.  Instead, I can't even find a small outfit looking to sell a few logs.  I guess I'm going to have to start chasing the tree trimmers!

Anybody got any suggestions?  I need to get the logs delivered since my puny truck won't hardly get out of it's own way.

oakiemac

Bigdog,
I've gotten quite a few logs from land owners who have wood lots that have trees blown down. I got about 20 nice cherry logs from a guy who just wanted to get rid of them. Also try to let the community know that you will take trees that otherwise might go to waste or fire wood. Tree services can be good, but around here they try to sell you the logs. I'm not to keen on paying for yard logs. I have bought logs, but just from land owners.
Drive around and if you see any nice wood lots, stop and ask the owner if he wants to cut any for lumber. Hope this helps.

Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Bigdog,

Another idea for you is to keep your eyes open for clear-cutting.   Let your friends know, especially someone in a job which requires lots of inter-city driving.  I have found good oversized hardwood abandoned by loggers.  The trick is to be watching the job, as it goes, so that you can get permission to take advantage of what is available before the logs end-check.  You will want to know who the property owner is, before you spot the potential logs.

Let the loggers know that you want some logs.   In some cases, you can get "short loads" - partial loads which aren't work carrying fifty miles to a mill, so they are left behind for "gleaners" like us.  You can also get cut-offs - butt cuts made to either shorten a log or to reduce the butt diameter to the size their destination mill accepts.

Construction company operators of bulldozers and track hoes can also be of help at times.   Basically,   spread the word !

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Tom

Check with the foresters of the local power company.  Some of them will get a feather in their hat for finding a place to put logs without paying dump fees.  If your local power company has contracted right-of-way clearing out then you  might be out of luck since the contractors don't care where they put the logs as long as it is close and they don't have to sort or do anything special.  Usually they head for the dump.

Some Dump operators will let you come in and take logs.  You either have to saw there or do your own loading and hauling though.

I have tree service guys that will give me logs if they are in the neighborhood or will load them on my truck if I come get them.  You have to stay after them because the "new" wears off and they head for the dump too.  It's too easy for them to just charge the dump fee back to the customer.  

I get calls on occasion from people clearing building lots wanting to give me trees if I will take them down and clean up,  I'm not interested in doing that but I have custom sawing customers who will do it and have me saw the logs.

I know land clearers who gave me logs until they saw what I was cutting out of them.  Then they either want me to cut them for their use or want to sell them to me.  I'm not buying.

I get lots of inquiries for saw-on-shares.  I don't do that either because I've no market and stay too busy with custom sawing to generate one.  ......although I think it would be easy.

Developers have been some of my best customers.  I could get lots of logs from them if I offered money.

Bigdogpc

Thanks for the tips guys!  I'm learnin' and wingin' it as I go.  I guess my next move is to find a big, old (read that "cheap") truck.  Then maybe I can go find logs!

Thank You Sponsors!