iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reclaimed bar

Started by Downstream, December 11, 2021, 10:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

When we bought our 1897 craftsman bungalow house a few months ago we found what appeared to be an original built in cabinet with glass doors in the basement.  Unfortunately it was covered in 1950's green and white tile linoleum on all sides and top and was used as a bar in the rec room.  I wanted to keep  the bar usage, but put it back in a more original looking finish to match the oak 2-panel trim style used throughout the house.  I had some oak 1x material and a few remaining oak slabs left from my sawmill so I was off and running with my first project in my new workshop.  I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" oak plywood to cover the ugly, but tightly glued, linoleum and then I measured and duplicated the 2-panel design from the main floor with my 1x material.  Finally topped it all off with a nice live edge slab for a new bar top.   Picked up the oak bar stools for $6ea at the local Goodwill store to complete the new spot for relaxing.  First photo shows the original bar in the back left and the second photo shows the finished product and bar stools.  I think I have just enough 1x oak left to do some shelves behind the bar.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

sawguy21

Linoleum ??? Gimme a break! :D It looks good, amazing what can be done with a little imagination and effort. That room has a lot of potential.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

Looking at the pickwick paneling and dropped ceiling I'd say that bar was built at the time the basement was "finished" sometime just postwar, that was a very popular paneling profile in the 40's-early 60's, usually with orange shellac. Linoluem was a popular countertop and even tabletop surface prior to formica hitting the scene. I can't tell if that is an old tile impression on the floor or not, if you scraped tile it would not be a bad idea to get an asbestos check, especially if they were 9x9's

Downstream

I agree that the basement was finished in the 50's.  Floor tile was taken out long before I bought it and they had some water issues prior to putting in a sump so floor has been "scrubbed" a few times over the years by the previous owners.  The walls are 1" solid T/G knotty pine boards which I love.  We had it in our first house many years ago.  We are very excited to have a basement again since most in this area do not.  Came in handy this weekend when the tornado came rumbling through the area after hitting the amazon warehouse over by St Louis.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Great job on the bar!  What better way to break in the workshop!

Thank You Sponsors!