iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coconut oil as a finish

Started by LeeB, December 24, 2021, 04:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Anybody tried virgin coconut oil for a food grade finish? It would have a coconut smell and taste but stays fresh for up to five years.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mooseherder

I've never used it but will try it now. :D
I've used walnut oil on bowls with good results.

LeeB

I used walnut oil on  the charcuterie board I made for Lindy. Makes a nice finish but it sure is pricey.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

metalspinner

@LeeB 
I've been buying mine in the supermarket salad dressing section. And have been working on the same bottle for a long time. 

Where does yours come from? The price at the market is reasonable. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

One of the guys I saw for has been making lots of resin/walnut coasters.  He gave me a highly figured walnut set last year.  They had a nice finish so I inquired as to what he used.

Walrus Oil

I ordered some after giving my coasters a workout.  They are really nice people and make the product right up the road from you.  I also got some of the Walrus Wax.  Its not terribly expensive and does a good job on charcuterie and cutting boards.  When I looked at there website a minute ago looks like you can get $5 off on your first order.

Even though they say they are a green company, I've not seen any walrus in the lake since they started making their finish. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

caveman

I've never used it on wood but my daughter uses it to condition her show pigs' skin a few weeks before the shows.  I have also used it after using vinegar and water to remove mold off of leather vehicle seats to condition the leather.  It seemed to work well for that purpose.
Caveman

LeeB

Quote from: Larry on December 25, 2021, 09:59:59 PM
One of the guys I saw for has been making lots of resin/walnut coasters.  He gave me a highly figured walnut set last year.  They had a nice finish so I inquired as to what he used.

Walrus Oil

I ordered some after giving my coasters a workout.  They are really nice people and make the product right up the road from you.  I also got some of the Walrus Wax.  Its not terribly expensive and does a good job on charcuterie and cutting boards.  When I looked at there website a minute ago looks like you can get $5 off on your first order.

Even though they say they are a green company, I've not seen any walrus in the lake since they started making their finish. :D :D
Coconut oil, bees wax, and mineral oil. Pretty pricy for 5 gal. $325. I think I could make my own much cheaper.

alan gage

Quote from: LeeB on December 25, 2021, 11:27:31 PM

Coconut oil, bees wax, and mineral oil. Pretty pricy for 5 gal. $325. I think I could make my own much cheaper.
On the other hand: 
I think that all the time. And then 5 years later I'm still saying the same thing. Then I break down and actually buy the product and regret I didn't just do that 5 years ago.  Also, I'm a really good procrastinator.  :)
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Raider Bill

my gf uses it on her skin seems by the gallon.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don P

These are all non drying oils? What are they doing that mineral oil doesn't?

Southside

Coconut oil is made from ground up coconut, walnut oil is made from crushed walnuts.  Who was the sick #$^! that invented baby oil?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

And-> Mineral oil is the trade product for solid wood countertops sold all over in box stores. Other than peanut oil (I got a deal on some sold for turkey frying) it's what I've used excepting WATCO which is safe for food contact after the # of days they say on the can. Beeswax is the more exotic, organic one to use, mixed with a solvent. I never use pricey stuff on any bowls. If a bowl is looks only I use WATCO & paste wax. 
 Most of us don't eat from wooden bowls like King Arthur and the Vikings? :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mudfarmer

The 55gal drums I get for free are from food grade coconut oil and usually have some left in the bottom, interesting thought will have to give it a try.

Don P

Works good for soap making as well.

Mooseherder

I've used coconut oil on a few projects recently with good results.  This is a Mahogany bowl (Florida Swietenia) cut down from a branch taken down because it was at head level and dangerous while on a riding mower.  It's been air drying under my pavilion for about 10 years.  Just a touch of spalt in there.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

Reminds me some of OR myrtle wood. I had a guy offer me a grapefruit tree log in FL long time back but couldn't get free to go pick it up-it looked really whiteish on the end, as I recall. Lots of exotics down there. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!