watch lumber making in Tanzania

Started by alsayyed, April 17, 2009, 08:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

STUMPKICKER

:o  EDITED No worker's comp. on this jobsite, betcha.  :o

Dan_Shade

wow....

people are pretty ingenious when we need to be, they are just trying to make their life easier....

that's scary dangerous, though.  but it sounds like the saw may not have enough power to do a serious kickback.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ellmoe

I think a pit saw might take less effort. It for sure would be safer!
   Thanks for posting.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tom

That video needs the saying, attributed to us Southern boys, attached to it.   

"Hey Y'all, watch this!"

Don't you know they could use an LT15?

WH_Conley

Haven't quite figured out if they need more set or the saw guides need adjusting. ;D

These guys are doing it the hard way.
Bill

blame

omg i'd hate to be working on that crew  but i'd remove the table, set up some track and a carriage.  even if it didnt have setworks  it would still be safer and alot easier on the back not to mention the engine

fishpharmer

Them fellas should just take up Mexican mask carving.  ::) I think that would be safer. ::)

Maybe they are gonna build a track after they cut some boards to make it?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

brdmkr

Quote from: Tom on April 17, 2009, 09:10:15 PM

Don't you know they could use an LT15?

This is exactly what I was thinking.  If they can make lumber with an outfit like that, what could they do with a more advanced piece of machinery?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pigman

That is the most advanced circle rig that I ever seen. It has a self propelled carriage, variable number of head blocks and variable spaced head blocks. 8)   
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ErikC

I'll never talk about how hard it is running an Alaskan mill again :D.
I bet those fellas sleep pretty good at night, the ones that come home alive that is.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

peterduncan

That beats my B20 from last week's job.

ellmoe

Quote from: pigman on April 17, 2009, 11:25:43 PM
That is the most advanced circle rig that I ever seen. It has a self propelled carriage, variable number of head blocks and variable spaced head blocks. 8)  

:D  Not to mention scanning and self-positioning headblocks!

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

bandmiller2

That is the ultimat fustration for OSHA all those violations but no money for fines.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

okie

One thing about it, they got their mind set on making lumber.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

gizmodust

This is the ultimate proof that once bitten by the sawdust bug, you just can't get rid of the effects  ;D :D
Always liked wood with alot of character

Meadows Miller

Gday

Theres Nothing worng with an Armstrong bench Fellas ( you just need strong arms to opperate one  ;) :D)  ;) :D :D  that bloke at the end off the log from the start is the head sawyer  ;) 8) but i reckon a couple off trolleys would'nt go astray it makes life a hell of alot easyer  ;) :D :D

Us Aussies have got sawing on Breast benches  down to a Fine Art these days ive personaly sawn nearly 2 million bft + on em over the years the first bench i ever used was  an armstrong bench a little heaver than that one runn of an old allis chamblers when i was about 12 or somewhere around there  ;)

Benches have differnt names here depending on how automated you go  ;) Armstrons with no power feed just the bench with dead rollers front and back a simple gauge and two trollys and tracks what ever the longest length you want to saw on each end  ;)

Breast benches with powerfeed trawella or kendall single or double sided gauges  that come in either 4 man ( sawyer ,lever&gauge man , and 2 tailer outers  ;))

3 man bench (sawyer , lever/gauge man and a tailer out )  

and two man bench where the sawyer setts the gauge to the next size  and sets the feed speed when hes at the front off the bench before the flitch returns back over the bench for the next cut  ;) ;D 8)

And the best is a one man auto bench on which you can avverage about 8000+ bft in sized center flitchs or about 5000 + bft on just half  , 3rd or quarted logs not bad for one bloke in Hardwood they have been around fro nearly 40 years but Grey builds the original and the best one out of em all  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)

You can Pump out the timber with the rite sawyer and a good crew with you on the 2,3 and 4 man benches but the mills that are running them now mainly have 1,2 and sometimes a 3 man'er but thats mainly because the are running sizeing carriages now so they are dealing with lighter sized flitches instead off the larger 1/2 to 1/4ed logs they use to get when breaking down with the old twinrig's with flattop carriages in the past .
There are also different sizes off bench a #1 which will take upto a 48"saw the #2 bench that will runn upto a 36" saw and a #3 or mosqito bench which takes upto a 28" saw and i used for sawing small sizes and recovering pallet and fence pallings out of wingboards and taperd heart sections usualy no longer than 14' long but most small mills ran either a #1 or #2 bench and did all the resawing on one machine and ran a crew off 4to 6 blokes   ;) ;D 8)
there was one Big mill once in Victoria that ran from about 1900 to about the 50s  that had two break downs followed buy two #1 4 man benches three #2 4 man benches and had a two man mosqito bench all connected with timber gravity skidds(transfers  :D) sett up on the side of a hill that use to pump out a hell of alot off timber in its heyday   ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!