iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Workshop (not really.....)

Started by Phorester, May 10, 2012, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

Toured E. A. Clore Sons, Inc. in Madison, VA today.  A small family owned furniture manufacturer in business since 1830. They specialize in high quality furniture made mostly from oak, walnut, cherry and maple. Most woods are obtained from local forests and sawmills.  They will make mahogany furniture, for which they buy the wood. They both kiln dry or air dry their wood depending on the part of the furniture it is used in. Over the decades they have made a lot of the machinery they use to manufacture the different parts by trial and error. The woven seats for their chairs are done by local people in their own homes. A lot of hand work goes into each piece.

Overall look at one of their individual craftsman work rooms.

Each piece of furniture is built either entirely by one woodworker for small items, to a team of 3 - 4 for the larger items.

Sanding chair back slats.  This one worker is making several chairs himself.

http://www.eaclore.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

MM, its that or a grits grinder of some sorts. bg

beenthere

Some commentary along with the pics would be great. Must be a story about them somewhere. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Phorester

Commentary added, BEENTHERE.  Sorry, had to run after I posted the pictures and am just now getting back here.

jimdad07

That is a beautiful shop, a little envy coming on here.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

T Welsh

Phorester, I am a little jealous also! You can just see the (Pride in Workmanship)
that goes into every peace that is made, also in the way all wood is sorted and stacked. Thanks for posting!!!!!! Tim

Planman1954

Thanks for posting. I clicked on the link you gave in the first post and did the factory tour. Wish I could see it in person. I love building furniture.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Texas Ranger

Out standing, would that I could do that well.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

PC-Urban-Sawyer

The website address for this company listed in the original post is no longer valid.  A little searching finds that the company has a current web site at https://clore.furniture/

This seems to be a great company.

Tom King

The only new (not antique) furniture in our house is made by them.  Our kids started in their high chairs.

Thank You Sponsors!