iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

questions about hardwood seedling care

Started by Lanier_Lurker, January 01, 2009, 01:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

I have quite a few 0 years old hardwood seedlings that were germinated last spring and are in containers.  Two questions come to mind about their upkeep during winter dormancy.

1) Do I need to be concerned about keeping them watered?

2) Since some of the containers I used are narrow and deep, should I be concerned about the roots getting too cold if they are left outside?  I am in zone 7A so the winter temperatures are not extremely cold, but we get hard freezes quite often.

WAP Man

Maybe contact your state Forestry Department ? If they have a forest extension/education or a nurseryman on staff they should be able to help you out.
Wish I was in a zone 7a tonite , got a big nor easter bearing down on us with 15 inches of blowing and drifting snow
Cheers  ;D

Riles

Yes, you need to keep them watered, but only to the extent that the roots don't dry out. Nothing like warm weather requirements.

I don't think freezing will be much of an issue. Frost heave might shred some fine root hairs, but if the pots are well drained and you're not seeing frost heave already (soil type is probably the key factor here), I think you'll be ok.

I've got willow oaks, southern catalpa, and sawtooth oak in pots now. After last nights 17 degrees, I guess we'll have some data come this spring.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!