iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaking oil tank in a 345 husqvarna

Started by Mako Hall, March 02, 2018, 05:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako Hall

Hello everybody, I have a leaking oil tank in a 345 Husqvarna chainsaw. It seems to be leaking right
out of the bottom of the saw where the two sides of the tank attach to each other and I just can't find
any way to tighten it or anything. Any help would appreciated.

Spike60

Not sure I understand the situation Mako. The 345 doesn't have a tank with 2 sides as on the metal cased saws like the 346/353. It has a molded plastic tank for the bar oil. Is there a chance the the handle was ever removed in the past? Occasionally someone gets the handle bolts mixed up. If the longer bolts from the side are used in the bottom, they will wear a hole in the case right into the oil tank.

But also, oil travels. Oil down there could be coming from higher up. There is also the possibility that the oil pick up line is no longer sealing as it goes through the thank, and may need to be replaced.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Mako Hall

I am not really familiar with that saw. I just assumed that the tank had two sides. You know that little line or crack on the front of the saw it seems leaking right out of there. I did have a problem with the bolt from the handle puncturing the tank but I patched that with JB Weld and cut the bolt shorter and it does't leak there any more. Last time I used that saw the chain oil was getting on the fan and spraying oil everywhere.  You definitely know what you are talking about.

dougand3

You could try JB Weld or plastic repair on the front seam. Search plastic repair methods. As far as oil hitting flywheel and slinging....Another crack beside flywheel? Maybe oil is dripping off front and finding the air stream into flywheel...but that seems a stretch.
This chassis has been whacked pretty good, I'd bet.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

mike_belben

the muffler loosened and the blowdown gas has melted a hole in top the oil tank.  I have a box full of the clamshell husky and jonsereds with bad cases.  Pull muffler, you cant miss it.
Praise The Lord

Mako Hall

Thank You Sponsors!