iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1998 Norwood Mark IV

Started by Braceyconst., September 11, 2019, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braceyconst.

Hello from Southeast Louisiana. Been looking at mills for a while now also reading and trying to learn as much as I can here.  I've wanted a mill for hobby for a long time but couldn't justify the money since I don't have much extra time right now. I had just about quit looking until......a buddy's dad decided to upgrade to a Timberking 2000 and offered his old mill to me.  It's a 1998 Norwood Mark IV with a 13 hp honda.  Has been under cover since day one.  Seems in good condition with the exception of a few small things.  It needs a throttle cable, they operate it with 2 people, one manually throttles the motor.  Also needs a new lube tank.  Don't know the hours on it, they used it to cut lumber for bee boxes and lumber for turning bowls and such.  No rust, everythings free, not obviously bent in any way. Will cut 16' lumber.  I watched it cut a green pecan log, had a new band on, seemed to cut very good.  Think I can buy it for $1000.  I know yall are asked this question alot and I don't have any pictures but any thoughts on this particular machine and the price? Are these parts readily available from Norwood?

Thanks

doc henderson

i also have a b2000, sound good and better decide soon or it may be gone.  i am not familiar with that mill but have heard good things.  does not sound like you can go too wrong.  others will chime in.  good starter mill.  maybe in 10 years you can sell it and buy their b2000.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jack S

Don't even question or hesitate. I have a 2013 LM29 mill  which cost me $7000 new and I had to assemble it. A very similar machine.  You won't go wrong. Norwood still supports it plus a lot of parts can be bought local. Google norwood for imfo.    Jack

Jack S

The throttle cable is much like the brake cable assemblies on a bicycle and probably could be adapted. The lube tank no big deal either. heck any ol multi gallon plastic  jug will work.  Wish it was closer Id but it unseen for that price

Woodpecker52

Snap it up, it will not stay on market very long!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

bushhog920

I had a mark 3 for 10 yrs w/13hp Honda. Only problem i had was the head would shake side to side on big logs towards the top but i think it was caused by the bed not being on solid supports and the engine governor spring got weak and engine not making full power. Says 24"logs but after 20" not practical to cut. For the price go for it i paid $4k for mone and sold it for $1500 when i upgraded to my 51hp cooks. Throttle cable don't waste your time fixing it mine was broken to i just used the throttle on the engine. For the lube tank us plastics is way cheaper. They are great for support but you must register it with them so they know its not stolen. Most important thing is sharp and clean blades you will only get half a day at best out of one. Are you going to send them out or do it yourself. I had more invested in blade sharping equipment than in my Norwood. I'm in South Alabama need any help i might fly over and give some pointers if you buy my lunch lol.

Braceyconst.

Don't have any plans on the blades. Honestly haven't thought that far ahead. Wouldn't know where to send them out too far sharpening.   Later on I'd like to get a sharpener. But it's gonna be a slow go, too many irons. Full time job, side construction business that's became full time. One boy at LSU, one a high school senior this year and a wife with a bunch of honey do's.  Thanks to all for the advice and info. I'll post pics when it's a done deal.

thecfarm

Honey do list will get longer with a mill. See what I built for my Honey. ;D

Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Slingshot

That is a good buy on that mill. I have owned 2 of the LM Mark 4 and really liked using them and the way they handled and cut. Here is the last one I hadthat I put a power feed on. Used a Wheelchair motor.....

Norwood LM Mark-4 sawmill w/power feed sawing sassafras - YouTube

Slingshot

Another video of the Mark 4

Norwood Lumbermate Mark 4 with power feed - YouTube

____________________________-
Charles....... sling_shot

RAYAR

A MK-4 at that price and in that condition? Jump on it ASAP. A buddy has one he bought new and it's been a good mill for him.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

never finished

Now just where did you say that mill is and maybe a phone number? Just kidding. Go get it.   

Braceyconst.

Got the mill today. 10 new bands and he gave me a hardly used Norwood standard sharpener and a tooth setter for an extra $100. Said he never had the patients to really learn to use the sharpener. I'll post pics soon. I'm excited to say the least. Oh, the sharpener is missing the grinder.

Dana Stanley

That's an awesome deal. Congrats!! 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Thank You Sponsors!