iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My attempt at free hand milling

Started by ManjiSann, September 07, 2019, 09:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

never sure till I post them on the forum.  did you see tree of the day?  i was told it was a "black oak" by the wife of the tree service guy.  what can be more reliable than that.  i almost tagged you when the foresters said it was... a silver maple.  must be the weather and the soil conditions that make all the maples in ks look like an oak.   8) 8) :o :o :o :D :D :D :).  do you still like Ice with your sweet tea? ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

olcowhand

Quote from: btulloh on September 08, 2019, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: SawyerTed on September 08, 2019, 11:07:55 AM
And a bigger truck, cant hooks, a bigger chainsaw, a solar kiln, a planer/molder.....
Yep. It never ends. But that's a good thing.
Some people think that holding the couch down is good hobby. I doubt any of 'em are members of the FF.
Btulloh, I resent that generalization! Why just this week, I was able to hold a couch down; It was around 2:45 am on Tuesday, it lasted about 10 minutes- and it was glorious!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

@olcowhand , you make a good point. It is a good and necessary thing at times.   :D
HM126

logman 219

never mind its not a 2x12 (24 board feet) its a 200 board foot log cut 3-4 feet long to use a chain saw

SawyerTed

"What we have here is failure to communicate." :D
 2x 12' long, I believe was read incorrectly and I can see why.  2" boards random width 12' long is what I intended.

I get it @logman 219 you wanted the log cut into some sort of lumber on a sawmill.  The OP doesn't have a sawmill, he used what tools he had to make something he could use.  I stand by my statement, that's not a waste.  I'm pretty sure the OP wishes he had a sawmill to go about it differently.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ManjiSann

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 08, 2019, 10:52:55 AM

I see your future.... there's an entry level bandsaw mill...and a log arch, and a home made log arch trailer.....
Quote from: SawyerTed on September 08, 2019, 11:07:55 AM
And a bigger truck, cant hooks, a bigger chainsaw, a solar kiln, a planer/molder.....

Heh, I just brought up the idea of a bigger truck to the missus yesterday, she was all excited to try and find one. I hate shopping for vehicles but she loves it. Now to figure out how to pay for it :D
I'm definitely bitten by the bug. Been trying to figure out how to find logs to mill. Found a few in the local ads but people want a lot of money and at the moment I don't know enough I'd want to pay for what may not be a good log. 
I keep seeing a lot of Elm being cut down, is it any good?
Thanks,
Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

ManjiSann

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 08, 2019, 11:36:27 PM
"What we have here is failure to communicate." :D
2x 12' long, I believe was read incorrectly and I can see why.  2" boards random width 12' long is what I intended.

I get it @logman 219 you wanted the log cut into some sort of lumber on a sawmill.  The OP doesn't have a sawmill, he used what tools he had to make something he could use.  I stand by my statement, that's not a waste.  I'm pretty sure the OP wishes he had a sawmill to go about it differently.
I didn't see the post logman made that was removed but I can guess more or less what it was and I take no offense. If anything I sort of agree with him. I would have preferred to pull the trunk out whole but short of a crane that could lift a 1 ton log from a 60' horizontal run it wasn't going to happen. The homeowner had already had someone who wanted to drag it out so they could mill it full length but this was a very nicely landscaped house and the homeowner wasn't having it. 
It was not my first choice to cut it down but that was the only way I could haul it out. I figure those 3-4' sections weight 4-500lbs each and we were using muscle power and a dolly to do it all. As has been said, I did the best I could with what I have. I wish I had the equipment to have "done it right" but alas, the cost is more than my budget will take. I also live in the city with neighbors on either side of me so I am not sure how I would fit a bandsaw mill and solar kiln in, though I am stretching my brain trying to figure out how to do it  ;D ;D
Thanks all for the kind words and even the "what were you thinking" sentiments, this is a great forum!
Brandon 

Brad_bb

I like red elm(slippery elm) or american elm or any elm.  My key to finding logs was making relationships, and talking to people.  I get some logs from 2 firewood guys I've developed a rapport with.  They'll save out the better saw logs to sell to me.  They have relationships with tree services who need to get rid of logs they take down.  They are more rural, so sometimes there are logs with nails, but not so much that I can't deal with it.   Craigslist is another possibility if you have the ability to load and move logs.  A log arch trailer like Matt Cremona's  on youtube would be very helpful.  I'm planning to outfit one like his soon.  Until then I have to pay to get logs delivered to me.  Another way is just talking to people.  Maybe they will have some trees cut down and will call you to take the logs, or they know somebody...   I was in the ford dealership waiting area, and struck up a conversation with a guy having his truck serviced.  When I brought up milling and logs, he mentioned that he just had a walnut grove bulldozed 4 months ago and the logger never followed through on their deal to pay and take the logs.  I went and looked the next day and struck a deal right there.  I had to buck the logs for 3 days, arrange my firewood guy and his skid steer to come and pile the logs in preparation for moving them, then hire another tree service to come with their log trucks and load and move almost 2 semi loads of walnut to my place.  I milled Walnut for over a year and still have a bout 10 to do,  on that one deal.  You never know...
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Nebraska

'Goodbye city life"  ;D  that dates me a little bit oh well..   I see a  3/4 ton pick up in your future. 

OffGrid973

And a tape measure with a claw so large you could till the yard with it...unless of course they are all discontinued 
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

doc henderson

Elm is beautiful and in most areas plentiful and most folks do not even want it for firewood.   so a great young mans wood.  it has tough grain and may move while drying, but it can be planed our.  Just gave some to a past eagle scout to make a baby crib.  he gets me good prices on Stihl product.  i gave him oak to build a bed a year ago, but have released him to name the soon to be born baby anything they want.  does not have to be named after me!!!  friends almost bought an 8k dollar table made from an "exotic hardwood".  It was elm.  

plaque for coworker, her favorite saying. elm, 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

I'm thrilled to hear elm is worth using! I see it being cut down around me all the time but had read that it was no good for anything (ok mostly firewood but my brain kinda carried that over to other uses.)

I grew up hating the Chinese Elm trees cause they have those little seeds that just go everywhere and they were always weeping the sap everywhere and looked nasty. Guess it's time to rid myself of old prejudices.

Local ad has some elm logs for free, most are only a few feet but a few look like they are 4' or a little longer. I am going to go and try to pick it up tomorrow morning unless it's already taken. Then I'll have to weld me up a chainsaw mill jig and maybe some sort of table to take the logs off the ground (I hate bending over or crawling, I'm not in great shape unless pear is a shape  ;D)  

It'd be really awesome to be able to use wood I've sourced, milled and dried to build the furniture in my "Man Cave!"

Until I can afford the 70cc pro saw that'll run the 30"+ bar to mill with, is putting a 24" bar with a semi or full skip chain on my little 50cc saw a reasonable option? My thinking is I will lose 4-8" of bar to the clamping mechanism of the jig so only 16-20" will actually contact the wood. I already have a chisel chain that I could frankenstein into a semi or full comp but want to be sure it's worth the time and effort. Yes I could buy one for not much but I got the tools and time and it'd be good practice on chain repair. 

Thanks again for prodding me on this little journey!

Brandon 

Southside

Brandon -

Already building equipment. 

How do you feel about chickens? Asking for a friend.  :D

@doc henderson 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

do not answer that Brandon, it is a trick question and will go on forever, do not get him started.  in fact do not even stare at the thread.  we have lost several valued member to the dreaded chicken theme!  may God help us all!!! :) :) :)
@Southside   @YellowHammer 

Brad_bb

Skip the chainsaw and start saving for the band mill.  Find ways to pick up extra money and squirrel it away.  I'd recommend an LT15 Woodmizer, but I'm biased.  Oh, and you're going to need to move to a bigger property, preferrably outside of town.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on September 10, 2019, 08:41:16 PM
Brandon -

Already building equipment.

How do you feel about chickens? Asking for a friend.  :D

@doc henderson
It's a sickness. I'm convinced, in spite of loads of evidence to the contrary that I will save money if I make it myself  ::) ::)
I like chickens but I've noticed they smell kinda fowl  8) 8)
Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on September 10, 2019, 08:46:17 PM
do not answer that Brandon, it is a trick question and will go on forever, do not get him started.  in fact do not even stare at the thread.  we have lost several valued member to the dreaded chicken theme!  may God help us all!!! :) :) :)
Well at least nobody mentioned grits.......oh wait. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

Now that's funny... :D :D :D!  
+1 on what Brad said save your money.  By the time you get set up for chainsaw milling, you wouldn't be far from owning a good entry level bandmill.  I went down that very road.  $800-1,000 for a starter power head, plus the bar, plus the ripping chains, chainsaw mill frame etc. etc.  By the time you start to mill your first log you will have spent enough to buy a good manual bandmill. 
Plus do you know how hard on a chainsaw/slow/how much hard work/dirty/frustrating a chainsaw mill really is?  I didn't but learned real quickly.  I have my Alaskan Mill but I won't sell it or give it away, it would be like sharing a bad disease.Your mileage may vary....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ManjiSann

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 10, 2019, 08:48:23 PM
Skip the chainsaw and start saving for the band mill.  Find ways to pick up extra money and squirrel it away.  I'd recommend an LT15 Woodmizer, but I'm biased.  Oh, and you're going to need to move to a bigger property, preferrably outside of town.
Would that I could. I'd love to live somewhere with acres and acres of land but it's not in the cards for now due to conditions beyond my control. So I do what I can with what I have  :)

Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 10, 2019, 09:02:27 PM
Now that's funny... :D :D :D!  
+1 on what Brad said save your money.  By the time you get set up for chainsaw milling, you wouldn't be far from owning a good entry level bandmill.  I went down that very road.  $800-1,000 for a starter power head, plus the bar, plus the ripping chains, chainsaw mill frame etc. etc.  By the time you start to mill your first log you will have spent enough to buy a good manual bandmill.
Plus do you know how hard on a chainsaw/slow/how much hard work/dirty/frustrating a chainsaw mill really is?  I didn't but learned real quickly.  I have my Alaskan Mill but I won't sell it or give it away, it would be like sharing a bad disease.Your mileage may vary....
Ok, sounds like I don't realize the costs of a bandsaw mill... so off to research something I didn't know I needed but now can't live without ;)
Brandon 

Magicman

And you are doing it very well Sir.  It's very easy for someone else to $pend your money.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

oh great, he sucked you into his world.  OMG.  Brandon I told you not to stare at the thread.  i tried to be a "beak"on of hope, but you just had to "wing" it,  he always tries to egg people on, feather you like it or not!  @Southside 

doc henderson

I bought a Alaskan mill 15 years ago and it is still new in the box.  good place to start, but some small band mill starts at just over 2k., and can be sold and moved up when it makes sense.  for now enjoy your success.  welcome again, and as you can see we like to have fun.

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on September 10, 2019, 09:13:12 PM
I bought a Alaskan mill 15 years ago and it is still new in the box.  good place to start, but some small band mill starts at just over 2k., and can be sold and moved up when it makes sense.  for now enjoy your success.  welcome again, and as you can see we like to have fun.
I noticed the good nature of the forum which is what drew me to join.  :) :)
I'll build the jig and use the chainsaw for now. I'll need to build some stuff with the wood I mill this way before I can even stand a chance of convincing the missus it would make sense to buy a bandsaw mill. 
Brandon 

Thank You Sponsors!