iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4900 International for small log truck ? To small or you think it would perform?

Started by RunningRoot, October 31, 2014, 02:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLogger

The guys with tandems here usually haul in the 3,500-4,700 range. Now, I need to make it clear that this is mbdft measured on the "International Stick". With the Doyle rule you will lose alot of footage in average timber. When the tandems roll to the mills in Morehead quite a few of them make the stoplights rock! A buddy of mine who is a logging legend, hauls on a tandem and has it tagged for 80,000#.

Things are definitely more lax here.

I would go broke hauling 1,500-1,700 mbdft a load!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: KyLogger on November 07, 2014, 05:46:19 AM
The guys with tandems here usually haul in the 3,500-4,700 range. Now, I need to make it clear that this is mbdft measured on the "International Stick". With the Doyle rule you will lose alot of footage in average timber. When the tandems roll to the mills in Morehead quite a few of them make the stoplights rock! A buddy of mine who is a logging legend, hauls on a tandem and has it tagged for 80,000#.

Things are definitely more lax here.

I would go broke hauling 1,500-1,700 mbdft a load!

Tom
that scale makes a big difference. we sell doyle here or weight. where you been any way?
we had a tractor converted to 6 wheeler then to a 10 wheeler.......couldn't keep tires n brakes on it as a 6. we hauled around 2000 ft by weight or 28,000 and it weighed 16800. as a 10 it gave no trouble and niether did the law. it was tagged for 55,000 as a 10 wheeler.

KyLogger

I been in the woods ;)  I will try to get some pics on Monday, if I can ever figure out how to post em on here!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

bigred1951

kylogger good to see you back and posting hop ya stick around. I like the looks of that old red international

luvmexfood

I also like the old red International. Especially the horn on the cab.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Maine logger88

My grandfather has two of those old IH's one single axle with a RD450 and a wheeler with a 1160 cat. Good old trucks!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

luvmexfood

Looked at the old International again. Collecting some logging pictures for someone. Anyway looks like it could use a wax job. :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

RunningRoot

Ok, so I think its down to the 4900 International and an F-800 I'm going to look at this weekend.
The F-800 has a cummins in it ( owner didnt know exact engine model ) it also has a 5 speed trans with a 2 speed rearend. Both are #33,000 GVW 12,000 fronts with 21,000 rears.

The 800 has 191,xxx miles with a Ford remanucatured engine about 20,000 miles ago.
The 4900 has around 107,xxx stock

I can get both for almost the same price, only a $500.00 difference between the two ...

What would you do, setting condition aside of course...
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

VAMuleskinner

The DT466 is a better motor.  Ford used 5.9l Cummins, one advantage to the f series ford is that the cab parts (doors, panels, instrument cluster) are the same as the pickup models.  I would not get the Ford if it has the older hydraulic brake system, parts places think highly of them.

Dave Shepard

DT466 is a bigger motor, not a better motor. They are both very good engines.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

The only thing better about the DT is it has wet liners vs the parent bore 5.9 but the little cummins don't really have any issues because of that. The ford could have an 8.3 cummins which is also a great engine

Dave Shepard

It's a toss up on the liners. Our DTA466 had to be rebuilt because one of the liners succumbed to cavitation, although I think if the anti freeze had been maintained properly, that wouldn't have happened.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ga jones

They are both very good engines. I don't like the fords the township never had any luck with them.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Maine logger88

Yeah I have heard of that problem I guess that's why some put coolent filters on the dt's

Thank You Sponsors!