iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marking log cut lengths

Started by Magicman, April 01, 2020, 08:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Since we all occasionally cut logs to length I wanted to share what I use:

(the above pictures are for illustration showing the green paint that I use and were not taken on yesterday's job)

I had used lumber crayon for years but this "upside down" paint marketed for identifying underground utilities fits my need very well.  I previously used blue, but this florescent green really stands out.  I get mine from Home Depot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Patrick NC

That's great stuff. I use it all the time.  I usually have a case of it on my work truck at all times because we use it for marking grade on road beds and parking lots. Best thing about it is its water soluble and will wash off your skin pretty easily.  It's a little harder to get off your clothes and boots though.  
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

caveman

I had several spray cans of livestock marker paint given to me a while back and I have been using much like you do with your cans.  If I don't have that handy, I usually just use the point on my Gerber tool's pliers as they are always on my side.  The paint does show up well.
Caveman

tmbrcruiser

I like the paint too. Darn if doesn't look like land clearing there is as hard on timber as it is here.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Rhodemont

Logging my own trees I cut them to length as they fell before skidding them out.  I keep my 3/4 ax nearby to drive wedges when felling so have it in hand to mark where I want to cut the lengths.  It would be more efficient at the sawmill if I always cut the logs to exact lengths but prefer to go with what ever straight length I can get and then trim boards to length if need be.  Many times have been happy to have that extra length on the end when open a crack, rot or even ants.  But it is funny at times how in the woods that length looked dead straight but when I got it up on the mill it looks like a banana.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Magicman

Called "ground crook".  It doesn't happen 'till it hits the ground.  It's the same principle as "ground shrinkage" with deer antlers or "cooler shrinkage" with fish.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Since I saw a good bit at a log yard that is primarily for a firewood processor, I started using orange marking paint the same way. The firewood guys know if there are orange marks, the logs get put in the sawmill whack.  If they see a section that has an "x" on it, that section is firewood.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Nebraska

Livestock marking paint sticks work in a pinch.

Thank You Sponsors!