iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a new gun today

Started by smwwoody, November 09, 2002, 07:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

My dad stopped by tonight to show me the new winchester modle 70 270 that he wone.  after he talked about it for an hour he said that his gun cabnet was full.  I thought he was hinting at a biger gun cabnet for christmas.  but it turnes out that he said I might as well have it since I didn't all ready have a 270 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Corley5

Lucky day for you 8) 8)  Where'd your Dad win it?  He had a lucky day also!!  I made a gun trade today.  I traded a High Standard .22 revolver for an SKS with a scope, 10 rd mag, sling, and 400 rds of ammo, even up.  I was happy.  I didn't need the SKS but I had two .22 revolvers.  My other one is an Iver Johnson that belonged to my Grandfather.  Our gun cabinets are now over flowing ;D 8) ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

I have two wood gun cabnets for sale. Each holds 6 guns. One came from West Virginia and made of Black Cherry from Pennsylvania. The other is made from pine. Both have a base cabnet for shell storage etc.
~Ron

smwwoody

corly 5  
he wone it from a volenter fire department chance

Ron

thanks fro the offer but the 18 gun one I built him is full and mon said that is enough >:(
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Noble_Ma

Hey guys this is probably a good  place to ask this question.  My son ( 15 1/2 ) has been trap  shooting with my neighbor.  He's been hinting that he would like a shotgun of his own.  I know my neighbor has spent lots of money on his guns.  Can anyone tell me a decent shotgun he can use and how much I should spend.  He works with me on the mill and around the house so I guess this could be payment for his efforts.   He's been bugging me to go too.  I've always fished and only target shoot once in awhile.

Bro. Noble

Noble,

I used to trap shoot a lot.  When I started,  the best shotgun I had was a Ithica pump featherweight with a modified choke that I used for quail hunting.  I was used to getting off a fast shot so got along OK with it.  All the guys said that wasn't a trap gun and I needed something better.  I traded guns all the time back then and came across a 101 Winchester over under.  It had a vent. rib and was considered a trap gun.  I looked more like a trap shooter but couldn't do any better shooting.  Had a chance to buy a model 12 Winchester pump.  Although mine was a 'plain Jane' version, it met with the approval of my shooting buddies and I could hit pretty fair with it if I waited for the pidgeon to get out there a little way.  I always took my Ithica with me and on a windy day, I would shoot fast and win my share of the matches.

My advice would be to get a gun that is handy and safe to load single shells in.  Get one that fits and naturally points at where you're looking without thinking too much about it.  If you can hit with it,  don't worry about what your buddies think.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

I have two SKS's. One I found in the jungle of Cambodia. It will never get traded.

My wife wonders why I have a gun cabinet full of guns. She doesn't know about some that are elsewhere.  ;)
Haytrader

SawBilly

Noble Ma,
I don't want to preach to the choir, but guns are dangerous, and kids today are often not as careful as when we grew up.

Don't get me wrong, every kid (especially boys) need a gun a dog and a Daddy, if a kid doesen't have a Daddy then we should be their Daddy.

Go for the Remington 870 pump 12 ga, police depts all over the nation use them. they are tough, shoot all the time, hard to break and not tooooo expensive. look for a longer barrel than one a police would use. Then lastly but most important teach him how to respect it.

RobK

I'm going to echo SawBilly, get a 12 gauge Remington 870, either the Wingmaster or the Express, with a 26" or 28" barrel. I have one. It's a great gun to start with and he can use it for more than just trap shooting. The barrels are easy to switch out too.

One thing you might do though is figure out how much you're willing to spend on a gun for him, then let him pick out what he wants. If he has some money of his own to add to what you're willing to spend he might get himself something really nice. Also talk to your neighbor and see what he's letting your son use and what he thinks about it.
-Rob

Noble_Ma

Thanks for the advice guys.  We are both enrolled in a gun safety class.  I'm not sure if it's manditory in Mass but I like the idea.  Next we have to take a test to get an FID card.  We only have pellet and BB guns in the house now and they are locked up!!  I have talked with my neighbor and he's letting my son use his $2000 plus tramp gun!  I told my son don't expect to get anything any where near that.  I'll look into what the shotguns you guys suggested cost and than go to the boss!  The wife will be the hard sell.  It almost took an act of Congress to get the pellet and BB guns.  Thanks again for the advice.

Tillaway

I used to shoot allot, now that I'm poor...well, anyway find out what exactly he wants to use it for.  The 870 is a great gun but if he is planning on shooting trap seriously, find an old Browning single shot trap gun.  A used one that is modified to fit him will work wonderfully in this pursuit if he wants to shoot competative.  If he wants to hunt too then go with the 870 and get a barrel that takes choke tubes.  Start him off with an improved cylinder tube.  It will greatly boost his shooting confidence and he will become a better shooter with it.  Starting off with a full choke can be fustrating for a young shooter, remember part of the enjoyment is actually being able to hit something.  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Noble_Ma

The kid is a natural shooter.  He's averaging 18 or 19 out of 25.  He's only gone three times!  There's another kid that shoots real good and I guess he has an attitude about it.  Some of the old timers at the club have taken my son under their wing and have been giving him lots of pointers so he can beat the other kid.  I casually mumbled something about getting him a gun.  The wife barely looked up from her magazine and said oh OK.  That counts as a yes right!!!!  

Tom

"OK" is just shy of "you better do it or I'm going to hurt you", the way I have it figured. :D

Noble_Ma

She's going to deny ever having the conversation Tom.  That does count as a converstion right!!!  

Bro. Noble

Noble,

I'm sure those guys are like all trap shooters------ most of them have more than one trap gun and are continuously trading.  Once they know your son is looking for one,  they will be begging them to try one of theirs.  Since they like him anyway, they will probably fix him up with a good deal.  He should have a chance to try a few to see how he does with them.  If he has plans to do some hunting as well,a pump or over-under double would be my choice.  

Noble

Noble_Ma

You know Noble, that's a good idea.  I'll talk with my neighbor tonight and get his opinion.  So far it's been a positive experience for my son,  he should have a say about what he shots with.  That is as long as it's not going to break the bank.

Tillaway

Noble has it...  I bet those guys would cut your son a great deal on a great gun. 8)

ARKANSAWYER

It is easier to beg forgiveness then to ask for permission. ;D
  I have a 870 20ga. that I bought when I was 16 with coin I earned while working the summer with my Pa.  I bet 2 tractor trailers could not haul all the game I have taken with that firearm.  I have hunted geese in Alaska to dove in Texas and deer in Missouri with it.  Went to the skeet range in Fort Hood and many of the Officers looked down at my scared stick with specks of rust and blueing worn off.  After several 24 of 25's I hit 25 of 25 and little else was ever said about my choice of shooting irons.
  Got a .410 break barrel for my 10th birthday.  Still have it and it is my favorite squirrel gun.  After the cake and ice cream we went out with a box of shells and poped a few off.  The my Pa sit up a cantalope on a fence post and I blew it apart with one shot!  WOW that was cool!  Then my Pa put a shell in the chamber and closed it up and cocked the hammer and called my best dog over.  He handed me the .410 and told me to put the barrel to the dogs head and pull the trigger.  Tears streamed down my cheeks and I shook all over.  I saw what the gun did to that cantalope and could not do that to my dog.  I was taught that there are targets, varmits, and game.  Once you pull the trigger you can not call the shot back and what you have done is done.  No one preaches gun safty more then me.  I taught my kids the same lesson and found it as hard as my Pa did.  I now teach Hunters Education and have shared the story many times.  Teach them young, teach them offten and do with them what you teach.
   We are free because of our history with fire arms.  There are many of us who are still here becasuse we were better then the others were.  Teach them respect, teach them manners, teach them to shoot, and show them how to be a MAN.  
  used soap box any one?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Noble_Ma

All good stuff guys.  I spoke with my neighbor and he said he was already on it.  He just hadn't had time to speak with me.  He also took the liberty to put our names on the list to join the club.  I wonder if that 30 pack that I sent over the other day helped to expedite all this ;D  

Noble_Ma

I was out at lunch and stopped by a local gunshop.  The guy there showed me a Mosberg 500 as well as the Remmington 870.  He said the US military used Mosberg guns because they could stand up to the military testing?  He almost sounded like it was my patriotic duty to buy one!  I saluted him and left. ;D

Bro. Noble

Noble,

In my opinion, a one finger salute would be appropriate in this case.  Mosbergs must have improved a lot igf they are now a trapgun.

Noble

RobK

I suppose a Mossburg might do the trick but I don't care for them. I also question that those are what the military use. Most places I've seen that put together combat shotguns use the 870 as the base.
-Rob

Noble_Ma

That's why I'm bouncing all this info off you guys.  I respect the collective knowledge of the forum members.  I think there was about a $100 difference between the two guns. ( $280 - $380 )   I never impulse buy so I'll figure this all out one way or another.

Tillaway

$280 seems a bit high for the Mossberg.  I never cared for them myself, seemed cheap and tinny.  Look a bit harder I think you should be able to find an 870 for $280 but it's been a long time since I've looked at them.  I would also search gun shows and the classifieds for a used 870.  It's nearly impossible to wear one out so I wouldn't worry about it lasting.

Noble_Ma

I looked in a Dick's Sporting flyer last night and they were about $200 - $220.  Tonight's shooting night and I told my neighbor to get the word out that we'd like to buy something used.  I agree with Noble and the rest that advised us to have him shoot the gun first to see if he likes it.  The feedback on the Mossberg has been negative so far so maybe I'll shy away from them for now.

Thank You Sponsors!