iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas reading

Started by DonT, December 05, 2002, 06:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

My wife has been asking what books i might want for Christmas.Anyone have any suggestions?   DonT

CHARLIE

It's not a forestry book but a DanG good book about what our boys went through in the Pacific Theater in WWII so we can be enjoying the freedoms that we now have.

Iwo Jima by Richard F Newcomb (Owl Books)  
It's a softcover book.    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

I was recently reccomending my favorite book to Paul_H and his family-----"The Shepherd of the Hills" by Harold Bell Wright.  This book resulted in Branson Mo. becoming the attraction that it now is.  It's an adventure book with ridin and shootin and romance.  It does have some trees and a sawmill.  The setting is post civil war in the Ozarks.

For a lover of old logging machinery and methods,  you can't beat "Endless Tracks in the Woods" by James A Young and Jerry D Budy,  published by Crestline.

Books are my favorite present along with hugs and food.  Well, it depends on who it's from.

Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Don P

I like to read Ferrol Sams' "Christmas Gift!" this time of year. :)

Tom

Understanding Wood by Bruce Hoadley
Band Saw Handbook by Doug Duginske
Any of Roy Underhill's Wood Wright's books
All of the Foxfire Books by Eliot Wigginton

SawBilly

With the true meaning of Christmas being the celebration of of the birth of Jesus Christ, a real good book is a new Bible. There are so many different kinds now, on tape, cd, study types, ones with commentaries written for kids and older people like me who have trouble reading  ;D

Anyway Merry Christmas all

Paul_H

Noble,
I ordered "The Sheperd of the Hills" today in Vancouver.It should be in just after Christmas.I'm looking forward to it.

SawBilly,
I bought each of my three older kids a Bible a few Christmas's ago.They were suited for different age groups in pictures,and side notes,but the Word was unchanged.A good gift.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

If you get a bible, get one that has a commentary and is written so you can understand it.  One of my kids bought me a New International Version, Life Application Bible printed by Zondervan.  It has maps and pictures and explains verse by verse whats going on.  Even an old hardhead like me can understand it.

Noble

Jeff

As a young person I was given a copy of the "Living Bible" I prefer the King James version.

Ihighly suggest a visit to ebay to pick up a used copy of time life's series The old west "The Loggers" unbelievable photos. I say its a must have.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Does anybody else no what "Bible drills" are? We had them in our Church for the young people, and mostly during VBS in the summer. Vacation Bible School.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

I do.

That reminds me of a story although I never could find the verse.

A preacher suggested to the sunday school classes that they think about the goals of their classes and find a verse from the Bible that fit.  Then they were to post the verse on their classroom door.  He really was pleased to see the verses appearing on the doors.  He noticed a sign on the nursary door and looked to see what it was, not expecting a Bible verse there.  He found "They wept and were changed"

Noble

Paul_H

My kids learned them in Sunday school as "Sword drills".A verse is called out,and the kids would try to find it first.

Jeff,
I have that Time/Life "Loggers" book some where around here.It is an excellent read.There was another book that my Dad got for a gift over 20 years ago.I don't remember the exact title,but part of it was Big Timber,and the author's last name was Roberge.It had great pictures of logging in Oregon,Washington,British Columbia,and Alaska.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

CHARLIE

Yep, sure do.....we called 'em Sword Drills too. :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

The reason I asked about the Bible drills is because of this.

Inside the front cover is written:

Presented to Jeffrey Ray Brokaw.
North Bradley Church of God.
1st Place.
Bible Drills.
Vacation Bible School July 1972.

Mom kept it wwith school awards that I had won so it was never looked at much. I had forgotten all about it till we found it in Dad's file cabinet when he died.
Its one of my treaures.

DonT

Thanks for the replies guys. For any landowners I got a book called The woodlot management Handbook a couple of years ago.Great book with a lot of interesting ideas.For the hunters out there I strongly recomend Big Bucks The Benoit way.   Have a great Christmas DonT

Weekend_Sawyer

I recently purchased a book off of Ebay that was reccomended here, Time Life books, old west series, "The loggers" Everyone that sees it on my coffee table stops talking and gets into it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Linda

I like comparing the "Good News Bible" with the "NIV Study Bible" and then with "King James Version".

I especially like having a concordance of Bible words ("Strongs Exhaustive Concordance" is the one I use most).  That way I can research any topic I want to and see all the places it is used in the Bible.  It's pretty nice to have all the addresses right there in one list.

Dr. James Kennedy wrote a book called "What If Jesus Had Never Been Born?"  His ministry, Coral Ridge, has made a    1 hour documentary "What If Jesus Had Never Been Born?"  It will air on PAX TV , Christmas night 8 or 9pm as well as during their normal Sunday morning service the previous Sunday.  

I've always been one of those "What if" people.  So, They ought to be interesting!

Linda :)

Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Thank You Sponsors!