iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log truck shopping

Started by JasonV, February 21, 2008, 09:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonV

Hello,

I've enjoyed reading this forum and have really learned a lot.  I'm looking at buying a used log truck for my future log home building project and would like to know what to look for.  The loader is a Prentice- I'm not sure of the model since it's rusted off- on a 1977 GMC.  As far as I know the truck only need a radiator, but what should I look for in evaluating the loader itself?   I'm very green at this thing, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason

a old timberjack

we need pictures, and we could help. i have a 68 diamond reo i use for a landing loader, sort wood and load trailers. it has a f model prentice loader, yes it is older then dirt, but it is paid for.  on the pass.side of the truck up neer the top ( above the cab ) should be a tag with a serial # let us know what it is
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

JasonV

I looked everywhere and couldn't find a serial number.  After looking closely at everything, I don't think I want to take a chance on something that isn't running right now.  I know I don't have the knowledge or skills to diagnose and fix the stuff that may be wrong- and for what may be a premium price for the outfit in its current condition, the exra money to make it work.  I think I just got too excited with the possiblilty and now reality is setting in.

Thanks,

Jason

Jeff

If its an older Prentice, does it have a rack and pinion swing?  If so, examine the rack cylinders on each side for past damage, if you can demo it, find out how much slop there is in the swing when changing directions. Look closely at the pinion gear as well. there should not be a hesitation between direction changes. Check the grapple pins and bushing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

a old timberjack

yes, thanks jeff, that is what i was trying to spit out...rack and pinion!! mine is so old the boom does not swing with the seat. it is stationary. it is old enough to vote!!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

TeaW

Old enough to vote is alright but it is like some of my stuff , that is old enough to have grand kids
TeaW

JasonV

Thanks for the responses.  I went back again and found the serial tag- it was painted over, but I didn't go throught the trouble of scraping it off.  The truck in its sitting condition is too much for me to handle and likely too big for what I wanted to do. 

Thank You Sponsors!