iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting my 1st large Hardwood

Started by Stephen1, December 28, 2009, 06:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Yeah, I think hard too, but it is not the normal "sugar maple" it has a different bark (we have some of those here too) I have milled a few. Is there a different name? Is it hybrid? I milled some continously burled w/ this bark. 

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Wow, that stuff is gonna make someone a pretty something..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

I think there is only a few small pieces left.

Any name for that type maple?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fred

Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

zopi

I've got a log on the trailer right now that might come out like that...if the ground ever dries up enough to cut it... tree was all gnarly...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Stephen1

That is amazing Ironwood, do you sell it? What kind of money is something like that worth?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ironwood

All of it is sold, in one form or another (furniture, countertop or raw material, some simply for wall hangings). Price is dependent on the piece, by quality and if it went w/ a bookmatch. So, not an easy answer.

Ironwood

ljmathias

Not to be nosey, and just ignore this if you want, but could you tell us what it sells for in your neck of the woods?  I've got some like that, and I guess if I'm going to keep moving toward retirement from my day-job, I need to start selling some of what I cut with the mill...   :) :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Ironwood

I dont sell it just in my neck of the woods. It is expensive. I base it upon what I could get for it as finished goods and subtract risk, and fair labor. Unique is where it is at. That is about all I care to share, sorry.

Ironwood

SwampDonkey

How stable is that ironwood? Hard maple will usually split right up the heart, if it's wide heart, and warp. I know you said Norway Maple, just curious.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

The slabs are VERY stable due to random graining (all burly). The challenge is drying. You dont have longitudanal tubes, and so drying was tough in the first year or two. It has been 4-5 years on that tree and so the stuff has completely dried. It was a hard maple, actually there are two unrelated trees in those pics and both where the same hard maple.

Anyone come up w/ a name for this kinda hard maple yet?

Ironwood

SwampDonkey

I've never seen sugar maple go burly like that. Hard to find a single maple burl let alone the whole stem.  Most of the big burls around here are on yellow birch. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!