iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker electrical (?) issues on LT35G25HD

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 10, 2020, 08:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

On my last sawing job I experienced problems with my debarker. It would have intermittent failure to run at all then when it did when I moved it against the log the tension on the log would stop it from spinning but it would turn when moved away from the log. I checked and the main breaker that trips when in a bind was reset so not the most common problem.

I removed the rubber boot to the motor and found the terminal under the black wire was very loose and assumed that was the problem. I tightened the post snugly then reattached and tightened the nut on the 2 ring clamps. When I tested it never turned at all. I did not test it before I tightened the post so I won't swear it was running before that and after my 75 mile return trip home. This is the only change I have made so far.

I called WM Indy just before they closed and talked a few minutes before my cell phone battery died and I had to quit. My flea market multi-meter is kaput and all I have to work with is a test light/probe at the present until I go get another. WM kept talking about breakers but when I took the cover off the control panel I do not recognize any breakers. I see one little assembly with 4 nuts/studs (sorry if incorrect terms used here - I ain't no electrician ::)) and my probe indicated power to a couple but not all.

I'll get back with WM Indy in the a.m, but if anybody has had similar failures or any suggested troubleshooting tips to try before talking to them I would welcome them. My connections seem to be the main panel and there are some more in the little black box under my fuel tank where the main breaker that trips in a bind is located.

The switch operating the in and out function works fine if that is any indicator.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jeepcj779

WV Sawmiller

I don't see how as I do not hear any sounds from the motor when I turn it on and move the head forward which would activate it. That might explain the earlier actions when the blade would turn till under pressure but not now when it will not turn at all. I am not aware of any shear pin in the debarker. Is there one there?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

No there is no shear pin or key, but the arbor on the motor does have flat surface that the blade locks into, at least it does on mine.  I had to do some modification on the one on mine as it had worn and gotten sloppy.  Remove the bolt that holds the blade onto the motor and drop the washer - you will see it also has a square side to it, and see if that or the blade itself has gotten sloppy and is not able to turn under a load as the arbor is just spinning in the hole.  

That's about the only mechanical issue it could be.  After that you need to check the motor for amp draw and or a short using a multi-meter.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

NOTE:  The bolt that holds the blade on my debarker has "Left Hand" threads!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

I don't know if that motor is like my 70s but if you don't make sure you're holding the stud tight as you tighten the nuts you can twist things loose inside of the motor and it will no longer make contact.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WV Sawmiller

Well, it looks like the motor is the problem. The ground/black terminal/stud was loose and evidently when I tightened it I shifted something and it no longer allows the motor to turn. I loosened the stud back up and with the switch on and being careful to stay clear of the blade should it turn, I could rotate the terminal and at a particular point I could feel it trying to engage.

I have a call in to WM to order a new one.

Once I get it off I figure I will check with local electric motor shops and see if it is worth repairing this one as a spare. It probably won't be worth the time and expense but I'll find out.

Thanks to Bob in Electrical support for helping troubleshoot the problem so quickly.

Customsawyer,

Looks like you nailed it BTW.

EDIT/UPDATE: Its on the way. The price was comparable with what I had seen on Amazon and other sites. I love dealing with the WM parts people. Good stuff, good prices, fast response and nice folks to deal with.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Well, my new motor got here today and I took the old one off and started hooking the new one up and over torqued the nut on the bottom and broke the threaded bushing that slips over the motor shaft. I also broke one of the 3 bolts going up into the motor so when I get my replacement bushing I'll see if I can't get a left hand thread drill bit and drill the broken piece back out. 
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Sorry man, some days are like that. Bummer.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

Remember the old saying "Eat a worm first thing every day and maybe nothing worse will happen the rest of the day." :D

There are lots worse and more expensive things that could have happened and this really should not be costly, time consuming or disruptive to my work effort. 
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Well, sometimes even I get lucky. Today I ordered my replacement bushing and nut to put the new debarker motor on then later went out to take the motor off. I was going to try to EZ out the broken bolt. Turned out there was 1/2" or so sticking out where it twisted in two so I was able to get a small pipe wrench on it and unscrew it. I don't have great luck with EZ outs so I was real happy to see this. 8)
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!