iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Growing

Started by 21incher, June 28, 2016, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Thats funny.. I have a tomato i didnt plant growing in a spot where i planted green bell pepper this year but didnt get a one!

Im terrible at growing corn.  I was in walmart today and figured id buy a few ears to cook on the fire with the kids.  Peeled it back...  Maggots. 

Newwwwp.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Dangit banjo ya jinxed me.  I had one of these buggers wipe out my 4 biggest san marzanos in 1 night.

Bright-line Brown?eye or Tomato Moth and caterpillar (Lacanobia oleracea) | Wildlife Insight
Praise The Lord

Logger RK

Years ago I had a watermelon plant sprout up in my pickup floor board.i had some watermelon earlier in the summer & a seed must not of made it out the window on break time. It was my Logging Hoopdee so there was plenty of dirt up in the corner :D

Banjo picker

Quote from: mike_belben on August 01, 2020, 10:14:32 AM
Dangit banjo ya jinxed me.  I had one of these buggers wipe out my 4 biggest san marzanos in 1 night.

Bright-line Brown?eye or Tomato Moth and caterpillar (Lacanobia oleracea) | Wildlife Insight
I have had no more damage since I dusted them with sulfur. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

21incher

Quote from: mike_belben on August 01, 2020, 10:14:32 AM

You never only have one. There are 99 more hiding out waiting for the next batch to ripen.

Dang chipmunks  like my principe tomatoes.  They wait till they are ripe then sit on top of my fence  eating them and leaving half of each one for me 🐿🐿. I think the  lack of water this year drives them to anything moist.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Shag bark hickory nuts are falling. Found 5 so far. If I find 20 I am doing good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Just when i thought i was a decent gardener, old lady from church sends my wife home with a pile of baby seal clubbing zucchini, crate of yellow squash, tubs of blueberries she grew and an incredible zucchini bread that we killed in an hour.

I hang my head in shame! 
Praise The Lord

21incher

Been a busy couple weeks with the daily bushel of veggies. Picked a couple red peppers and made our favorite roasted red pepper spread.

picked some small potatoes and made the best potato chips ever along with freezing batches of eggplant every couple days

Smoked up some chicken breasts with crab apple to go with the new potatoes

Sunflowers are amazing this year.

Life is good  8) 8) 8)  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

I need help with eggplant.  It vexes me on how to do anything tasty with it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Probably said the same thing last year, like those baskets!! I just came in from picking a bushel of tomatoes. I have to do the same with the peppers too. Lots of ace variety to pick. I have some ghost ones too.
Nice labels.
Egg plants makes good compost!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Everything looks amazing 

mike_belben

Looks great.  

Ive got cukes and tomatoes every day but a week of rain has put them all on the edge of a fungal death.  The dill has finished and lettuce is nearing its end, both bolting to seed.  Chard still going strong but im tired of it.  Vine borer got the zucchini and yellow squash and ill probably get one or two butternut to ripen off the dying vine.  Dang blight.  

Kale and turnips coming up.  Will probably clear out some old stuff and put the cool season fare in soon.

Oh and soybeans were the other surprise performer.  Soy and chard were the two i didnt have to work at, they were abundant on their own.
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

back when we lived in Fort Hays Ks, we had a 50 x 300 foot garden.  every year there was one crop that went crazy, and we could not give the stuff away fast enough.  it was on a sprinkler system along with the grass.  had a 5 acre yard.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2020, 08:46:35 PM
I need help with eggplant.  It vexes me on how to do anything tasty with it.  

First you have to plant Rosa Bianca eggplants.  They have amazing sweetness,  texture,  and flavor. Bread and fry it with a panko and seasoned breadcrumb mixture. Have it with a dish of pasta and homemade heirloom tomato sauce using Paul Robesen black tomatoes. Then just grate a little aged parmesan on top 😋.  Drinking a bottle  of wine  while preparing it will also help if you are not an eggplant lover 😉. Standard black eggplant just don't have much flavor and to some are bitter so toss them in the compost.

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on August 22, 2020, 08:48:28 PM
Nice labels.
Egg plants makes good compost!!

I got one of those cameo 3 vinyl cutters that also makes nice labels fast using  print and cut and standard adhesive label sheets.  Black  eggplant makes good compost  try the Rosa Bianca's.

21incher

The butternuts, pumpkins, and ugly gourds are finally coming in. Surprised how many there are with the drought we were in most of the summer.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Maters are out and in the burn pile but she got plenty. We were the opposite, way too much moisture this year.  The high tunnel is about empty and ready for replanting. We're swimming in peppers right now, got a recipe for that spread? The only time we lock the doors is when zucchini is coming in :D

thecfarm

Your bounty looks good!!
We did peppers in like a cover up, with greenhouse plastic on it, both ends open. We call it The Pepper House. I put black plastic on the ground too. Them things are booming!!! I hand water them just about every day. I put tomatoes cages around some. I ran out of cages and could not get no more. Need about 50 more to make it all work. I keep forgetting how many I have in there,100 I bet is low. I have some that are 3 feet tall. The ace peppers have stocks bigger than my thumb.
I am buying crop cover ahead. I want to grow the cukes under it to keep the bugs away when they first start and for the warmth too. Zucchini too. Seem like those squash-stick bug really sets them back each year. I hand pick the orange cluster of eggs off, but hard to get them all.

Al_Smith

Late coming on but the big tomatoes are ripening up some variety of beef steak .The early girls didn't get any size to them .It's been dry but even with soaker hoses it hasn't helped much . It's probably not a big deal because it could be the first of November before we get a killing frost with this climate change thing .Late tomatoes though really get a tough hide on them .
Odd the cucumbers I grow on a trellis,about 8 feet of it and 6 feet high .It looks like a jungle .A zillion flowers  but slow to turn into pickles .

mike_belben

Its likely pollination.  Cukes put on male flowers in about a 10:1 ratio to females and from what i gather its not a very potent pollen to bees or not their top pick.. Something like that.  So the females are probably getting missed. 

I started hand pollinating by just plucking a male, peeling the flower back and jamming it into all the female flowers.  Poof.  Cukes. 

Bug problems mostly cleared up but now suffering from too much rain here.  Everything is covered in splotches of fungal blight.  I prune tons of leaves off the cukes and theyre racing up the arbor but the new growth soon gets splotchy.  Still putting out fruit but its another daily chore.  A hoop house would be a big help.. Maybe next year.  

Made tomato sauce other night for the first time. I probably wont bother including cherry tomatoes for that again.. Too tedious to skin them all.  The romas were so much faster. I have yet to get a beefsteak to maturity here.  Its either a blight, a dog or stray chicken that always gets em. 
Praise The Lord

21incher

Quote from: Don P on August 30, 2020, 08:49:28 AM
Maters are out and in the burn pile but she got plenty. We were the opposite, way too much moisture this year.  The high tunnel is about empty and ready for replanting. We're swimming in peppers right now, got a recipe for that spread? The only time we lock the doors is when zucchini is coming in :D

It is the receipe from the Ball Blue Book. Here is a video I made about it
Canning Our Favorite Roasted Red Pepper Spread - YouTube

Salsa yesterday

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on August 30, 2020, 09:14:05 AM
Your bounty looks good!!
We did peppers in like a cover up, with greenhouse plastic on it, both ends open. We call it The Pepper House. I put black plastic on the ground too. Them things are booming!!! I hand water them just about every day. I put tomatoes cages around some. I ran out of cages and could not get no more. Need about 50 more to make it all work. I keep forgetting how many I have in there,100 I bet is low. I have some that are 3 feet tall. The ace peppers have stocks bigger than my thumb.
I am buying crop cover ahead. I want to grow the cukes under it to keep the bugs away when they first start and for the warmth too. Zucchini too. Seem like those squash-stick bug really sets them back each year. I hand pick the orange cluster of eggs off, but hard to get them all.

We are done canning and probably have a 100 pounds of red peppers leftover that will become compost. Never had so many peppers. I quit picking the zucchini a couple weeks ago and have some that must be 30 pounds out there now. The plants got borers but the vines developed roots that saved them.

Al_Smith

I used some fungicide early on and nipped it in the bud .Bonide brand copper fungicide .I had pruned the affected leaves off and treated it for about two weeks.Never returned again . 

mike_belben

Glad to hear that AL.  Will pick some up.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!