iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big walnut log plan

Started by firefighter ontheside, April 10, 2019, 02:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I've got a big walnut log on the mill.  It's about 27" at the big end and 22 at the little.  My plan had been to slab the top off until I couldn't cut any more, but I'm having second thoughts.  I took a few scraps off the top and now it's small enough that I could just turn it 90 ° and 8/4 slab the whole thing.  I was going to box the heart and get some nice wide boards on either side, but now I'm tempted to level the pith and just slab it 8/4 for the whole thing.  Of course the widest slabs will have the heart, but I hate to lose the wide slabs.  Then again, some nice straight edge, clear 1x10's on either side of the heart would be nice too.  What would you do?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

I hve not seen the log but from your description I'd be tempted to saw it into 9/4 LE slabs. Then you could sell the slabs as is, bookmatch a pair if someone needed a wide piece or resaw them into 4/4 boards later if needed. JMHO. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

Oh the choices.  The widest board, the quartersawn board, contains the pith.  In these situations, I will often take a bookmatched pair below and above the pith, and contain the pith in a 12/4 or even 16/4 piece.  Remove the pith and you may have a mantle, or make a couple of 3x3 or 4x4 pieces for leg stock.  Two 8' square lengths should give  you enough for 6 legs, the other side might make a stretcher.  With the popularity of thick planks with natural-edges, resin-filling, bowties, and river tables, the pith isn't the kiss of death that it once was.  :)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks WV.  What would you do with the pith?  Fully contain it in a slab or split it.

Thanks Tom, you're definitely thinking like me.  I have had a lot of people wanting slabs to make a table, so that what I'm trying to do with this log. Just was undecided whether to leave the pith in a slab.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OffGrid973

Sometimes the pith has an opportunity for Dutchman bow-ties, so leave even space on both sides of pith...seal it good even on the faces over the pith...and if it still splits you keep the two mantel pieces mentioned above.

Good luck and pics help.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WV Sawmiller

Tom covered that well. I had a big walnut (too big for my mill) slabbed by another sawyer with a Lucas slabber into 9/4 LE slabs but left the pith about 4.5" thick rather than split it right down the middle. I figure I can rip it down the middle thereby squaring the backs and still get 2 LE front mantels. Good luck.

BTW - my personal opinion is that bowties are butt ugly devices. They serve a great purpose but a recent walnut and maple, I think, conference table by VT was the only time I saw they looked pretty as well as functional to me. He made them look like fashion accessories instead of patching a defect. To each his own. I don't have the skill or expertise to make or use them anyway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Thanks all.  I think i will keep with my original plan which is box the pith in  a 4x8 or so.  I will cut off what's left of the center and get some quarter sawn pieces about 2x6.  I will take some pics when I get back to it this weekend.  I gotta go to the firehouse for the next 2 days.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OffGrid973

Just some ideas for using the pith if you change your mind :)

Maybe an ugly bow tie in the background as well...lol

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

123maxbars

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on April 10, 2019, 05:09:20 PM
Oh the choices.  The widest board, the quartersawn board, contains the pith.  In these situations, I will often take a bookmatched pair below and above the pith, and contain the pith in a 12/4 or even 16/4 piece.  Remove the pith and you may have a mantle, or make a couple of 3x3 or 4x4 pieces for leg stock.  Two 8' square lengths should give  you enough for 6 legs, the other side might make a stretcher.  With the popularity of thick planks with natural-edges, resin-filling, bowties, and river tables, the pith isn't the kiss of death that it once was.  :)
Bulletproof plan right there, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

firefighter ontheside

I have the technology and have done inlay before, but I have never done a bow tie.  Maybe I need to.  I wouldn't dream of using anything other than maple for a bow tie in walnut.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OffGrid973

My Go-To bow tie is Honey Locust on the walnut pieces...goes together right from the first top coat, and when it darkens it really is nice on the eye.  You would be surprised how quickly they go together once you get some practice.

Guy near me is now selling walnut cutting boards from solid planks and puts bow ties to add character...can bring a bunch of those to any show and guaranteed hit...or to your good slab customers as a Christmas gift.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!