iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I had a relapse

Started by DR Buck, July 05, 2010, 08:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I spent Saturday sawing a whack of oak and maple logs I had here for a customer.  Mostly 1x6 x 8 ft stuff.   I was moving along pretty good until I had to re-learn some things. They were almost back to back re-learnings.  ;D

1 -  No matter how many metal detectors you have (I have 3) a new out-of-the-box blade is better at finding metal in a log and it will do it on the first pass of the mill.  :(

2 -  Never, I mean never start into a cut without first giving your backstops a glance to check their height.  Otherwise that new out-of-the-box blade is a goner.  ::)

The number 2 re-learning event is the first I've sawed into any of the mill parts in a very long time.   I think the last time I did that was when I ran my debarker blade into the turning claw about two years ago.   That was quite spectacular and somewhat traumatic.    ;)

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Chuck White

I've learned the "bow to your sawmill" procedure over the past couple of years!

It pays off, (knocking on wood) to sight down through the uprights everytime!

Soon as you drop your guard, you'll probably find some iron.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Left Coast Chris

One other likely occurance is when you do saw through a nail the head end is left in the unsawn part of the log so when you try to get it out it makes a really good sized hole.   I had one last week that just would not come out so I went and got the makita drill and had to swiss cheese around the nail and then it finally came out head and all.......... :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

r.man

Some days it just seems as if bed was the place to stay. Sorry about your luck Dr.. 
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

OneWithWood

Chalk it up to sweat in your eyes!

If your weather has been anything like ours Saturday was very hot and humid.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

bugdust

Just so happens my buddy and I were talking about this very subject yesterday and I reminded him of the red oak we sawed last fall and hitting a "mystery" object about 6' down the log. It was a picture perfect oak, or so I thought. Everything went as planned until I heard that dreaded sound of a blade hitting metal. The mill came to an abrubt hault and some of the teeth were round off. I had to cut off the slab, to my surprise was a TV insulator. :'( These are porcelain insulators that are nailed into the tree as a wire hanger. I then remembered years ago my dad using them when he ran the wire to the top of the mountain. What I forgot was the tree had grown completely over the insulator and healed without a sign it was ever there. A metal detector would have probably helped but who would have guessed the perfect tree would be cursed from years past. What's bad is I had forwared my son to be careful which trees he cut along the old rail fence line. I guess I learned my own lesson, at least until I can't resist cutting the next "perfect" tree.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Magicman

That's just part of the joy of sawing.  ;)   Dig it out, put on a new blade, and keep on sawing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR Buck

Quote from: OneWithWood on July 06, 2010, 12:47:53 PM
Chalk it up to sweat in your eyes!

If your weather has been anything like ours Saturday was very hot and humid.

Recored 106.9° on the high-low thermomiter today.  I'm not going anywhere near the sawmill.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

OneWithWood

Who says we don't get smarter as we get older?  smiley_sweat_drop

:D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!