iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Matching a Finish on Commercial Furniture

Started by firefighter ontheside, December 19, 2023, 07:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I have to build a standing desk for a federal judge.  She said that sitting at her desk all of the time gives her bad posture and wants an alternate desk she can stand at.  It won't be large, maybe 24x36.  My plan is to basically build a bookcase that has a big foot and big top.  She can obviously store books or whatever on the bookcase part.  I think judges have a lot of books.  The top will be big enough for her monitors and a keyboard.  The computer will just be her laptop with a docking station so she can move it back and forth from desk to desk.  The challenge is matching the rest of the furniture and woodwork in her chamber.  It's kind of a red mahogany.  I can't simply stain this desk and put a finish on it.  It won't match.  I feel like I need to spray a dyed finish to give that fake look if you know what I mean.  I've dyed/stained poly before with OK results.  Oddly that was for the judge's twin sister who I also work for.
Do any of you have experience with this?  I will post a few pics later of her chambers and a sample of the color of the finish.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Oth

If you bring a sample of the existing woodwork and sample of what you're going to use to your local Sherwin Williams they can probably help you out and get pretty close. If you have a SW commercial division nearby they will custom make a stain for you. What are you spraying with?

btulloh

You can by rattle cans of toning spray for the color then shoot clear lacquer on top of that. That's going to be pretty close to how her furniture is finished. Probably start with a grain filler then a light seal coat of blond shellac (2lb cut). The Zinnser spray can shellac will work for that.
HM126

21incher

My FIL used to make matching finishes using lacquer.  he would seal the wood and then a thin UV protectant coat to avoid future  darkening of the wood. On top of that he would mix dyes in lacquer and build up thin coats that would  basically mute the features  in the wood. once the color was achieved he would put a clear protective coat that could stand up to abuse. Definitely was impressive to watch how easily  he made it look.
I tried having lowes color match a stain once but the wood grain makes unevenness you need to hide with colored  costs that build up.
I definitely would farm the finishing out to an expert if she wants a perfect match that will stay that way and that won't  be cheap.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

dougtrr2

I am lousy at matching finishes.  To the point where I had to sand and start over on a chair I made.   Instead of trying for a "close but no cigar" match, may be go for contrasting??

Doug in SW IA

firefighter ontheside

Thanks for some good ideas and suggestions.  Here is the color sample from the furniture company.  I guess the federal court building keeps these sample pieces for matching furniture in the buildings.  The other photo is where the desk is going to go in this little bump out.  She will place the bookshelf somewhere else.  I want to use maple, but am concerned about issues with staining maple.  I'm tempted to use ash instead.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

I think it's going to be hard to make ash match that because of the grain and figure. Maple is a good choice but you'll need to use analine dye. As you said, maple isn't going to take stain at all hardly but it's surprisingly easy to get that look with dye. Poplar would work also,  if it didn't have any green in it.

I also like the earlier suggestions about farming it out or using a contrasting wood. Sounds like contrasting wood is out though.
HM126

firefighter ontheside

She's not super concerned about it matching perfectly.  She already has a few things that don't match perfectly.  That said, she wants it to be at least close, so contrasting is not an option.  I will use the maple and look into the dye.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I've just been reading about using a dye first and then going over it with oil based dye after that's dry.  Interesting.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

dougtrr2

It is the judge's choice and beyond the scope of what you have been asked to do but.....     I would be tempted to build a utilitarian mock up to the dimensions she wants first.   I can't imagine standing and working at a desk in that little alcove.  I would feel claustrophobic and like I was in time out.  Again, it is her choice, but I would hate to  put the time into making something like that if it turned out to be not practical.

Doug in SW IA

firefighter ontheside

The picture may be deceiving.  The alcove is not very deep.  The front of the desk will be even with the left side of the alcove or maybe a little proud.  She will not be standing in the alcove.  She has amazing views to her left and right.  She is on the 16th floor of the court building in downtown St Louis.  Her office looks over Busch Stadium.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!