iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill revamp and upgrades

Started by Happycamper, March 31, 2013, 07:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happycamper

It's been a busy time getting the mill operating well but we are there now I am happy to report.
                                        Jim

Takes two fingers to move the mill head up or down from very bottom to very top, 1/2 turn of the crank handle = 1". This is one incredible improvement. The sprockets and chain are ones I replaced years ago on my planer. Winch made in china.

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

drobertson

Everything looks great! nice shed too!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I can see that you are a thinking man  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MEMountainMan

Real nice, I did some of the same mods to mine
LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

scully

realy like what I see nice job !
I bleed orange  .

mikeb1079

jim those look like some great mods.  well done!  thanks for sharing  ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

justallan1

Ga Mtn Man

Nice job on the mods, especially on that hand crank. smiley_clapping

So, no fix from WM?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

All good ideas.Anything to make sawing easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Happycamper

Ga Mt Man,
  No, no fix from wm. Jacob Money said quote (We have thousands of these little mills out there, and this is really the first time we've had any negative feedback on this feature, hence the lack of a perfect solution.)

dboyt

The mill shed, log deck and sawdust catcher would work for any mill.  Thanks for posting.  Do those rollers on the log stops come out so that you have a flat stop for the last cuts?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Happycamper

deboyt
Do those rollers on the log stops come out so that you have a flat stop for the last cuts?

The mill comes with two sets of log stops one set longer than the other set. I use the rollers for large logs only.
                                   Jim

Chuck White

Nice mods you've done there Jim.  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Very useful improvements.  Good job 8)
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

redbeard

Nice job on the modifications with your ingenuity you will have your mill all tricked out. Your set up looks really good!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

rambo

Great tricks for the water line.

Sixacresand

I like what you have done, HappyCamper.  Great pictures. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Happycamper

Thank You Fellas,
  For your kind remarks about the mill. I remember reading when I first joined the forum that the mill will give you many sleepless nights. Now I know what they were talking about. I woke up many a time working out the next improvement that I wanted to make but now it was all worth while. The little mill does all I expected it to do and is easy to work with and pleasure to use.
                                       Jim

frye

wired this gas shutoff valve to my electric clutch on my Timberking 1600 so that it turns on and off with the blade clutch.

Seaman

Awesome mods. I know about nothing for ban saws, when you get a minute, come down south and show me some mods for my Lucas setup! ;)
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

rimshot

Nobody can dare argue that the LT10 is not one of the best entry level mills on the market but Jim has managed to give his mill a personal touch that even Wood Mizer can't repeat.  Hey Jim, you forgot the cup holder.  And you got this all done in a heart beat.

Thanks for the boost to the rest of us.

rimshot

busy copying a genius

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Happycamper

Rimshot,
  Many thanks for the kind words. Necessity bring the mother of invention helps. I have stickered a stack 4 ft. wide, 8 ft. 6 inches long and 7ft. high after sawing many logs. I'm still using the band that came with the mill. The box of 15 blades await their turn. Remember (Necessity being the mother of invention.) I take my little thermos of coffee with me to the mill.
                                  Jim

rimshot

Hey Jim,

could you tell us the dimensions of the mill shed.  It looks to be about 14 long nd maybe 10' wide?  Tht is  nice looker

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Happycamper

Bingo, you win the prize measurements as you guessed.

Thank You Sponsors!