iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to us power unit and mill upgrades

Started by Gearbox, July 02, 2015, 09:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbox

Well this was the year to go through our mill at our farm show . I have needed to get the saw up to speed and our 80 HP steam tractor was about 50 RPM slow befor the cut .We picked up a 3 71 unit from my family with a 4 side planer . I put the 3 71 on the mill and rebuilt the skidway and added a 2500 lbs winch to turn the cants . Today was the day to make sawdust ,not to much . I found out that a twisted flat belt has to be realy tight to transmit a 100 HP. I hope I can find a 10 in wide belt to replace the 8 in I use now .
I also put in new teeth and 3 or 4 new holders and moved a post so we could get 16 ft logs in the building . Looks like I have about 5 thousand ft of logs to saw . Anyone want to volunteer for green end duty step right up Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bandmiller2

Gearbox, if that Detroit is going to be its mode of power keep your eyes peeled for "Vee" belts and pulleys (sheves) they are a much more efficient way to transmit power. Flat belts have a tendency to flap and that can cause the saw to wobble and chatter in the guides especially when cold. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Gearbox

Have a set of 5 vees but the rotation is wrong so twisted flat belt . Just talked to one of our members that may have a 9 or 10 inch belt . meantime I will keep pouring belt dressing on to try to get some build up on the clean pullys . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ddcuning

What kind of planer did you end up with? Getting power to my Newman 8B is on of my tasks to complete befor the year is out.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gearbox

I think that one may be a Newman. Mostly got it for the power unit and the blower . The babbit bearings are loose so its a bit rough . We have one that we use at our show that is 16 feet long and verrrrry large , we run that with a steam engine . Does a nice job . Also we have a 1 side that we use to size board & batten . It seems that the more we saw & plane the more we build .
Gearbox

Thank You Sponsors!