iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw files

Started by dirtmod454, February 02, 2012, 06:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmod454

How long (how many sharpenings) does one usually get out of a round chainsaw file. Maybe this would be better defined in chains. Can you sharpen a whole chain (20" full chisel) down to nothing on one file....2 chains? Just wondering what you guys feel is the average life of a round chainsaw file.

Thanks!

beenthere

A number of variables, but I'd say about 4 files per chain.  Some files just seem to stay sharp longer. When I realize I'm not getting a good bite, then chuck it and pick up a new one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

acco1840

I have had a reasonable run from both Stihl and Oregon files. Can't say the same for the Husqvarna product. Even the dealer reckoned they sucked and started selling vallorbe.....

Al_Smith

Until the file won't file no more is about all I can say .Keep in mind Stihl chain which is hard as tool steel will wear out a file faster than Oregon .

Pferd makes a good file .Arbor pro or whatever Baileys sells seems to be less agressive and for me works out better than Pferds for Stihl chain .

Again keeping in mind the brand of chain and also the brand of file carries with it the same amount of debate fodder as mix oil ratios or brand of chainsaw .So that in mind this thread could carry on until next July .

Cut4fun

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Clam77

I've gotten 4 or 5 sharpenings on a 20" chain and 3 or 4 on a 28" with one file so far - Stihl chains and a Stihl file.  I can definately tell it's starting to lose it's bite though.

They're only like 30 cents or something like that..   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

bandmiller2

When the file starts to skate over the cutter and not bite, its past its usefull life.I use one of those flat file holders and turn the file often to even the ware. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ohio_Bill

I  too am sold on Saveedge  files . I have used them for 3 years now, great files .  Baileys sells them .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

bill m

I get about 2 chains per file. Am using Total files now but I like Pferd best. Got some Husqvarna branded files at the loggers show in Maine last spring and don't like them. 7/32 file measures .200 and doesn't cut as well. IMHO.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Al_Smith

To tell the truth I guess I never paid attention .It's certainly more than two filing per file though I'm certain .

You file a tooth ,knock the filings from the file ,file another tooth etc .You keep shoving away on it all you do is load up the file .A shaving laden file won't cut anything other than your toe nail perhaps .Mine is so tough I have to use a horse hoof rasp .

SPIKER

I have bought a lot of cheap files usually last well enough like others said normally keep the files cleaned off they stay cutting very well.   Harder the file the longer they last, though harder files also break much easier...  that is usually how mine go...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sablatnic

I normally use 4 Oregon files in the life of a 20" chain and 3 on a 15". And one flat file.

T Welsh

Pferd or Stihl brands are all I use. Tim

thecfarm

Probaly 2-3 files. I have a few chains that I use to cut the stumps low on the clumps of maple in my grown up pasture. Lots of dirt fell between the trees. I'm lucky sometimes to get the stump sawed off without having to sharpen the chain again. I put a different chain on and sharpen it for the stumps than go back to a good chain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stump farmer

I notice that the files I keep by themselves in a pocket on the chaps last a lot longer than the ones that roll around in the toolbox.

Al_Smith

A little trick on that is stick the file in a fat soda straw like they use for milk shakes .Keep from banging the file up it seems .

lumberjack48

I used a lot of files, Nicholson is the best i ever used. A guy has to make sure the chain is oil free before sharping. I like a file that comes packaged it its own holder, when done filing slip it back in the card. You have to keep a file dry and oil free.
I filed 10+ times a day, i got so many filings out of a Nicholson that i can't remember how many.
I've had files that were only good for one day, if that. If your running Stihl chain you need a Nicholson.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Nicholson as well as Oberg made very good files at one time .I haven't seen either  in years though .Oregon used to sell a decent file but I can't from my view point brag them up too much these days .

Ha in all my stuff I have one .325 chain and of course it needed filed so off to Lowes to buy a 3/16" file which of course was Oregon bad plan .

Clam77

:D :D

You'd be surprised where you can find good files - alot of the hardware stores and "general" stores around here stock Nicholson..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

acco1840

True about the Nicholson files..I have had a great run from the, but they are like $6.95 each here, whereas a stihl file is $2.50 :o

Hanson

I like Pferd, I never pay much attention to how long they last, Baileys carries them. Tim

mad murdock

I have had good service from bailey's woodsman pro files. Purchased by the dozen they are a good deal.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!