iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone doing the portable custom cutting in Mich?

Started by Pedalbiker, November 29, 2004, 01:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedalbiker

I'm getting close to making the jump into the portable custom sawing and would like to hear from some people in the central Michigan area.  Just curious about how much work is out there, etc.  I still get some calls for sawing from when I had my pallet shop but need more background.

Thanks,

Pat
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Thers so many FF Trees on Meechigan ya can't see it in the map ;D

I'm sure some o' those guys I'll chime right in.
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Jeff

Well, I again am strongly considering it. If I do I'll try to market to the guys that are dissatisfied with amish sawing first.  ;D I am beginning to think with each advancingday that I won't be able to handle the repetition of the commercial mill any longer.

Not sure if I can swing payments on a mill without the mill making the payments and I dont want to go into it like that if I can help it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_S.

OK Jeff,
I've seen amish furniture. Not impressed. ::)
I've eaten amish cooking. Tasteless. Not Impressed ::).
What is amish sawmilling like? ??? Lots of them - and mennonites - around, but I've never seen their quality up close and personal.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Jeff

Actually the Amish around here make some pretty nice furniture. I like the rustic stuff. I have even bought a couple things. I have heard of a lot of complaints on thier lumber quality though. Those guys are pretty tight, so if there is a saw problem they can squeek by with, they do. I had some cedar sawn out about 15 years ago and thats the last I ever took to the amish. Looks like they were sawing with everyother tooth broke off. You could not plane 1.25 down to 3/4. :( (I couldn't do it because our saw dogs tear the heck out of cedar.)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VA-Sawyer

Jeff,
Not sure what kind of mill you are looking at, but I can tell you that running my WM is HARD WORK ! My clutch lever is on the left, and if it is a long day of good sawing then I have problems with my left shoulder. Tailing isn't any piece of cake either. When my friend Jack was down helping me this spring, the first thing I did was teach him how to run the mill. It made him a better offbearer right off the bat. It also meant that we could swap positions on a large job. We would trade places about every hour. I thought it worked pretty good for both of us. In fact, it worked so well that I kinda wish I had a working partner in this business.
It looks like Pat is about 20 miles from you. Perhaps you two should consider teaming up.  Just a idea.
VA-Sawyer

Pedalbiker

Jeff,

That is kind of where I'm at.  I can support the mill for a short time but eventually it has to pay for itself.  I don't need another expensive hobby.

As far as the amish, my experienc has been that there are good ones and bad ones, just like the rest of us.
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

Haytrader

::)

VA-Sawyer,

You musta never been in a partnership.

:(
Haytrader

oakiemac

Pedalbiker,
I'm doing the custom milling thing in southern MI. I'd say only about 25% of my buisness is portable custom milling though. If you decide to do it then look for other sources of revenue. Maybe there is a stonger demand in the northern areas.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

VA-Sawyer

Haytrader,

Yes I have. More than one in fact. The biggest lesson I have learned is what any good business book will tell you. Set up the partnership on paper first. Write it up as carefully as you would if you were going into business with the Devil himself. Spell out everything in Black & White. Have a lawyer review it. Include a section that explains who will get what when the partnership splits up. Update this section at least once a year. Plan on it splitting up, and keep records accordingly. Somebody always ends up working harder , doing more than 50%, plan on it and plan for how to compensate for it. Even if it is your spouse or your best friend in the whole world, follow the above advice. The contract should be more than 6 pages single spaced. If it is any shorter, then it isn't thought out or detailed enough.
Once all parties have signed the contract, then treat you partner according to the Golden Rule.  It takes work to make a partnership work.  
Having said all of that... sometimes a partnership is still the smarter move.
VA-Sawyer

Henry-Adams

Sorry all that I haven't posted in a while.

I run a portable mill service in the Traverse City area. I'm running a WM LT 40 HD. One thing I can pass on for those just starting out is the work is out there but your going to have to get out there and find it. Your also going to have to look for other ways to market your product.

I've been able to cover my mill payment...barely. And I'm going to have to dig into my own pocket to cover those payments this winter, but I can see the work is out there. I figure that I'll be able to work full time running my business by the end of next year.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Thank You Sponsors!