iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on finishing products

Started by rdhdfmn, May 21, 2004, 05:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdhdfmn

Ok guys. Be gentle with me. This is my first post and I dont know if Im in the right place or not. I live in the great state of Texas. We have eastern red cedars and my question pertains to that type of wood. I have heard that marine grade varnish is the best for outside due to the fact that it doesnt turn yellow. Is this true and if not what would be the best? Also I am looking for an inexpensive way to use this type finish. I would really like a spray rig of some sorts to give it that sheen look. What would be the best setup to accomplish this? Oh Im just starting to work with this type of wood so please be very simplistic. Only a few cells working up there. ;) Thanks for the reply. From what I have seen this is really a cool board. Thanks

CHARLIE

A lot of times the finish is determined by what it is you are building and what it's going to be used for and where it's going to be used.  I'm guessing you are going to make some outdoor type furniture.

If it were me, I'd use a good brand of Marine grade Spar Varnish.  It has UV blockers in it too.  Don't just get a Spar Varnish though, make sure it says Marine Spar Varnish. Cut the first couple of coats 50/50 with thinner. That way it will soak into the wood. Then when that is dry, varnish it full strength.

Another thing you can use is deck waterproofer. It soaks into the wood and leaves the wood looking natural.  But you will have to reapply it yearly.    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

We built a front door for the house that would be exposed to weather and used marine spar varnish as Charlie has suggested. It works well but I had a heck of a time finding where to buy it. Finally found it at the big marine supply houses that advertise on the internet, keep in mind if your doing a big area this stuff is expensive and you may want to use the deck waterproofer instead. Welcome to the forum rdhdfmn.

rdhdfmn

Thanks for the replies guys. I will look for that here locally. any particular website that might be the cheapest? also whats the best way to put this stuff on? Thnks again.

SwampDonkey

Wagner makes an electric paint sprayer, or if you have an air compressor get a paint sprayer attachment or rent one. If its the floor of a deck, I'de just use a paint roller and pan. I find the paint sprayers use too much paint, but the flow can be adjusted at the nozzle end as well. Unles your going to be painting or vinishing alot of work, it may be too costly to buy a paint sprayer. I use diesel to clean up my Wagner sprayer and run some through the spray nozzle to remove any paint that may harden in there.

Welcome to the forum rdhdfmn
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Haytrader

Welcome to the forum.

Like Charlie said, we need to know what you are building and where you plan to put it.
I saw quite a bit of ERC and have some pictures in the photo gallery here. On a privacy fence and front porch we put several coats of preservative from the 'big store' then outdoor polyurathane. We sprayed the preservative with a pump up garden sprayer and brushed on the poly.
We had a spot or two that looked weak (after a year) so we bought some water based sealer that the guy at the 'big store' recomended and put it on with a roller. It went on fast and the wood looks as good as it did off the saw.
If you don't find my pics and want to see just let me know.

Haytrader
Haytrader

rdhdfmn

Hey guys, sorry for such a long time to reply. I will be putting it on furniture that I am making. some inside some outside. have a great day.....RD

steveo_1

Hey Charlie i havent tried that spar varnish before but when i worked in a spray room for a cabinet shop when we sprayed a fresh coat over a dried coat it would wrinkle up. Will this stuff do that? I'd like to try it even if it is a little pricey long as it dont yeller up.Welcome to the forum rdhdfmn,you'll like it here!
got wood?

dmcc

BRUSH   VARNISH   ON   WOOD.

;D Sorry "rdhdfmn", I couldn't resist! :D See you at work tomorrow! ---derwood
"Still looking for that one BIG log"

rebocardo

Try West Marine, they have 100s if not 1000s of stores country/world wide, an Internet site, plus they sell paint. The instore help is good too.

DanG

I've been making some stuff out of Juniper, which is just about the same as Red Cedar. I've found that Marine Spar Varnish is about the best finish for it. It really brings the color out!  I just brush it on, then buff it lightly with #0000 steel wool, between coats. 3 coats looks really good, but 4 gives it a real mirror finish.  I've been real disappointed in the plastic finishes. It makes a nice piece of wood look like just another piece of plastic.
I've not been cutting the varnish with anything, but maybe I'll try that. :)  You can get Marine Spar Varnish at any paint store, and it ain't all that pricey. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Can't get Marine anything in stores here. Its all Minwax products or Verithane products. I have to special order stuff from Lee Valley, such as pumice and rotten stone, even cheese cloth. I don't even try to get latches or hinges here cause they might have one, but not two. And they have no selection. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian_Bailey

Here are two things to consider about spar varnish before using it on indoor furniture.

1) it doesn't cure hard enough to be able to get a good rubbed out finish.

2) it has UV blockers in the formulation.  So when it's used on a wood like cherry, the piece won't darken like it should.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Thank You Sponsors!