iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shooting Wolves

Started by chet, February 04, 2007, 08:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

QuoteCan someone explain to me how or why a large wolf population will decrease the coyote population?

My understanding is that the wolf won't tolerate coyote's and kill them. Thus the decrease.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

DonT,  Check out this link.

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-In-This-Issue-i-2012-05-01-211756.112113-WOLVES-VS-COYOTES.html

Keep in mind this was written a couple of years ago.  Wolf numbers, in certain areas of the UP,  have increased much more drastically in recent years.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

I was always under the impression that the two were arch enemies however...  In the Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan it has been shown that the two will co-exist and hybridize.  Apparently when the wolf population is low they will cross with coyotes.  DNA testing was done on pups from the area.  As I remember the mother was a wolf and the father a coyote. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Corley5

I guess the DNR is now denying the presence of wolf/coyote hybrids in the NLP.  I've got friends who live in the area that will argue the point aggressively.

http://articles.petoskeynews.com/2013-02-12/dnr_37064722

Corley5

DonT

Thanks for the reading guys.We do not have  many wolves in this part of Ontario mostly coyotes.Are coyotes hunted with hounds in other areas?

OntarioAl

DonT
To put it simply wolves are very territorial. They will drive out all competition (including other wolf packs) . Wolves are bigger than coyotes so the coyote has a simple binary decision leave or die.
Al
Al Raman

Randy88

Coyotes are hunted and chased with dogs in my area.   

WmFritz

Quote from: Randy88 on January 20, 2015, 11:08:36 PM
Coyotes are hunted and chased with dogs in my area.   

Here too... not enough though.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

CJennings

The eastern coyote is a hybrid between the wolf and western coyote. So they will mix to a degree but generally wolves do drive out the coyotes. I've read studies done on them showing some in Maine were over 80 percent wolf. But don't call them wolves for obvious reasons. When you see 60 pound coyotes you know there's more than coyote genes in them.

pineywoods

Ccoyotes around here have crossed with feral dogs. Some of them are quite large..There's open season on them anytime any way...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DanG

Here's a pair my neighbor shot and hung on his fence last month.

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WmFritz

Quote from: pineywoods on January 21, 2015, 10:20:42 AM
Ccoyotes around here have crossed with feral dogs. Some of them are quite large..There's open season on them anytime any way...

My Wife has a two year old female Standard Poodle. Since the day we brought her home, this pup thinks it's her duty to (playfully) clobber on my 80# male Lab.  Her other favorite pastime is squirrel hunting. She stares out the windows all day watching and if she see's one, her whole body quiver's.

Our cabin is surrounded by thousands of acres of forest and when we're there, I let her run our 30 acres. She stays busy all day scratching at old stumps and sniffing around. I've teased Vicki when her dog hasn't checked in for awhile, that she's hanging out with her Coyote boyfriend. But, I  always worried a bit when she's out of sight, what would happen if she runs into a Coyote. She topped at #40 and is a lean, mean, running machine. Last August I found out.

I was hanging a curtain rod at my FIL's place which sits in the middle of hundreds of acres of farmland. It was about lunch time and Vicki started screaming my name. Then the dogs name. Then back to me. I ran to the back deck where she was hollering from and see Zoe hopping up on her hind legs to poke her head above the Soy beans, then disappear. The beans were waist high. This kept repeating... Zoe was obviously looking for something. I look at Vicki and her arms are flailing. She's in tears and can't spit any words out. Finally, ''there's a Coyote out there in the beans.''.

Vicki and Zoe were sitting on the deck and a Coyote had come trotting along the house from the front yard. When Zoe saw it, she bolted after it.  Vic said Coyote was about the same size as the dog, but Zoe was running it down. The house is maybe 200 yards from the edge of the beans and Zoe almost had it by the tail when the Coyote made it into the beans.

I don't know if she thought she was chasing a playmate or if she meant business. She plays rough with other dogs, but has never bitten any. At least not hard enough to break skin. Just playful bites.  The squirrels don't get off so easy though. She's killed a couple Pine Squirrel's, at least one Chipmunk and a fat Fox Squirrel last month. She paid for that one with two big bites on her nose  before he met his demise. I figured the least I could do was eat that chubby guy for her and I did.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Jeff

How topical eh? Showed up on my facebook tonight. I didn't watch the news the last couple days so I missed it when it broadcast.
http://www.9and10news.com/story/27886521/dnr-wolf-attacks-doubled-in-michigans-upper-peninsula-in-2014
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WmFritz

The comment from L. R. R. Hood following the story got me to chuckle.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

coxy

has any one had any more trouble with them

red oaks lumber

i got tracks going inside my hay shed which is really getting close for comfort, i'm hoping they are going for mice or other small critters. i hope :) calving season is aprroaching so, i'm going to be vigulant this spring
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

coxy

they are doing this at night I take it    and I understand why you don't have the yuppies  involved  :)   how does one dare to walk around your place or anyone elses place out there  for that matter after dark    the only thing good I can see about having them around is the night crawlers don't steel your things or do they

red oaks lumber

read an article in the local paper how wisconsin has formed a "save the wolf" group , in the article they stressed how non leathel methods work . they call it fladgery which by putting flags on the fences when the wind blows the wolf will be scared and run off. serious,i cant make this stuff up :) my though is most wolf activity is a night so ,the flag idea most likly wont work.
the other thing they want the state to do is re emburse the farmer for lost animals. my opinion i don't want to be re embursed, its not the occasinal lost animal its the lost weight gain from animals constanly being nervous because the wolves are in the close proximity. that number you cannot put a price on.
yesterday morning i noticed one of my herd of younger buffalo had broken thru one of their fences,this happened to this group a couple weeks back, my speculation was a pack move thru a little to close and spooked them.  my point to all this rambling is,wolves are a real threat to life as i know it,and urban people or people who are so far removed from the day to day dealings of wolves don't have clue what type of monster they want to protect.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

pabst79

ROL, the Federal judges from DC and fruitloops from Dane county (my folks live there so not them  :D) want to make rules regarding a subject they no nothing about! Unless you live in close proximity to the vermin that is the gray wolf, you shouldn't be able to make laws regarding them. It would be like you and I starting the SAVE THE ALLIGATORS FUND, and demanding that all reptiles in florida or where ever they live be allowed to live in your yard or pond, and if they walk up to your porch and eat your poodle, tough cookies, they have a right too, thats how crazy this has gotten. When the wolves got put back on the E S list, the law states that if a wolf attacks your pet or livestock, you cannot harm them, just let them finish and you may be reimbursed if the state has money left, wow what a crock. 2 hounds have been killed within 10 miles of my house in the last 8 weeks, the 3 S's only help so much. They are bringing the Elk from Kentucky this month, no idea how they are going to survive with wolf population, the clam lake herd sure hasn't been able to grow, it will be the same problem here!  :-\
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

bhall

Was up late last night, had to finish reading this thread. It was like a book I could not put down, full of incredible information with a terribly sad theme. It is pathetic when folks lives are dictated by people who have not a clue to reality and their decisions are based on money or votes.
One thing I would like to add to this. Most every year the red fox have a den nearby. When the coyotes come around the fox hang low or leave. When the black bear comes to snack on my crops for a month or so you will not see hide nor hair of the coyotes, and the fox are back. My guess is the bears claws have nailed a few yotes, the bears claw tore up one of my dogs once. I suspect the dog had his eye on the bears mouth, never saw that paw comin around. Was wondering if any of you folks have seen this type of behavior with the bear & the yotes?
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

SwampDonkey

I have bear and coyote both as well as moose, tracks of all 3 year around. The coyotes are fewer numbered at the moment because they were trapped this winter. But that will be temporary, as others will soon move in. The foxes are quite common around to, will see their tracks all winter along fence rows and field edges. Sometimes a fox den made in an old ground hog hole  in the back yard. I suppose ground hogs are good for something, food and dens.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!