iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hee Haul rides again, now with a 5sp manual.

Started by Delawhere Jack, December 19, 2014, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Hubris got the best of me thinking I could rebuild an automatic transmission, reality taught me a harsh lesson. So after more hours and dollars than I care to mention went down the drain, I did what I should have done to begin with.

Ole Hee Haul is now sporting a ZF5, 5 speed manual tranny. Found a seller on CL downstate with the trans, pedal assembly, shifter and all. After yet more hours and dollars than I care to remember, the Ole Boy rides again.

As I bonus, the 5.71 1st gear combined with 4.10 axles means Hee should be able to tow a loaded freight car in 4 wheel low. The overdrive 5th should pay for itself in 10-20 years.....

Forgot to mention, popped a rib out crawling underneath Hee Haul a couple days ago, so the final stages of the install were extra challenging.

WmFritz

Ooh... that rib can't feel none too good!
Hope you heal up as good as Hee Haul.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

snowstorm

is that a f250 with the ifs front axle? has it cracked yet? the one on my 97 cracked a couple times. then i fixed it. thru it in the junk pile and put a dana 60 in its place. it will bolt in

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: snowstorm on December 19, 2014, 06:30:09 PM
is that a f250 with the ifs front axle? has it cracked yet? the one on my 97 cracked a couple times. then i fixed it. thru it in the junk pile and put a dana 60 in its place. it will bolt in

Solid axle on leaf springs. I thought a previous owner had swapped it in, but I've been told you could order them that way.

chevytaHOE5674

If that truck has a solid dana 60 under it then somebody swapped it there. In the year range all the F250's and single rear wheel F350's had a dana 44 or dana 50 twin traction beam leaf spring independent front axle.

The ZF5 is a good box but make sure reverse is fully engaged before releasing the clutch or overtime it will wear out and pop out of gear.....

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 19, 2014, 09:14:37 PM
If that truck has a solid dana 60 under it then somebody swapped it there. In the year range all the F250's and single rear wheel F350's had a dana 44 or dana 50 twin traction beam leaf spring independent front axle.

The ZF5 is a good box but make sure reverse is fully engaged before releasing the clutch or overtime it will wear out and pop out of gear.....

I honestly don't know what it is, besides that it's a really heavy axle on leaf springs. I'll try to get a picture and maybe someone can clue me in.

chevytaHOE5674

Round tubes or rectangular? A picture would be easy to tell.

redprospector

I've always liked that body style Ford. Now that you have the 5 speed manual, a Cummins would make it a near perfect truck.  8)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 19, 2014, 09:55:10 PM
Round tubes or rectangular? A picture would be easy to tell.

Rectangular. The axle tubes look like they're part of the same casting as the pumpkin, as well as the ends with hold the kingkpins.

JB Griffin

If its rectangular its most likely a ifs(Independent front suspension) dana 50, I have a '92 7.3idi zf5, that I drive everyday and most of an '87 6.9idi m5od parts truck both with ifs dana 50's

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

JB Griffin

Better pic.
'92 f-250 4x4 7.3idi, zf5, ifs Dana 50, 10.25" Sterling rear end, 3.55 gear ratio,
Luk 12" soild flywheel and 12" clutch, Hydra Bed HB200 haybed

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

snowstorm

i swapped the ifs 50 for a dana 60. the 60 came out of a 93 f350 cc so it had hub extentions. i took those off. almost everything will exchange. i did have to use the brake rotors from the 93

bigred1951

I just sold my 89 f350 single rear wheel 4x4. It had the 460 big block zf5 5 speed trans. Power house could pull anything but got around 10-11 mpg. It had the dana 60 solid front axle on leaf springs. I bought it from the original owner but the salty north had done its time on the body and the rear frame. Could still drive it but i would be scared to hook a trailer up to it. If it wasnt for the frame i would have kept it.

JB Griffin

I would really like to find a '91-'97 SRW F-350 in really good shape and transplant a 12V Cummin in it with a ZF5 of course. ;D

snowstorm

the ifs dana 50 will usually crack on the drivers side from the front  looking to the rear next to the u bolts. if it had a diesel motor and a snowplow there was a real good chance it was going to break

coxy

I have a 96 f250 7.3 plow and over 400k and mine is not cracked  (yet)   :D or did they fix them by this time

JB Griffin

My '87 has an ifs dana 50 and approx. 600k on it. No cracks.

snowstorm

Quote from: coxy on December 21, 2014, 05:22:39 PM
I have a 96 f250 7.3 plow and over 400k and mine is not cracked  (yet)   :D or did they fix them by this time
my 97 did it when it was 2 yrs old. at the time i asked the ford dealer about it. he had 9 trucks waiting to be fixed. the fix was replace the housing. the parts are no longer available. if you find one buy it. if you have to replace the center u joint cut it out with a torch then install the new one

JB Griffin

Sorry to highjack Delaware Jack's thread. But Snowstorm you do know the axle shafts do slide out of the housing after the hub is removed, no need for the torch and a lot less clean up. ???

Delawhere Jack

Here's a pic of the front axle. What is it?

Truck is running great, and the mileage is significantly better. Rear driveshaft will need to be balanced, otherwise all is Honky-Doory!

snowstorm

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 22, 2014, 04:13:06 PM
Here's a pic of the front axle. What is it?

Truck is running great, and the mileage is significantly better. Rear driveshaft will need to be balanced, otherwise all is Honky-Doory!
dana 50 ifs. usually they break between the u bolts drivers side. your truck looks pretty good. up here with the salt it wouldnt

snowstorm

Quote from: JB Griffin on December 22, 2014, 11:06:41 AM
Sorry to highjack Delaware Jack's thread. But Snowstorm you do know the axle shafts do slide out of the housing after the hub is removed, no need for the torch and a lot less clean up. ???
and you have done this?? i am referring to the center u joint not the axle joints. i have done the same thing on axle joints. cut it apart put the new one in. that way you dont have to pull the wheel bearings. on the newer trucks with the sealed wheel bearing it saves a lot of time

Delawhere Jack

Thanks Snowstorm, now I know what to search for if it breaks. ::) But it might just end up in a field with a bag of oats to distract it........

JB, no problem, any info I can find on Hee Haul is welcome. There are some forums on old trucks, but they often aren't much help.

JB Griffin

Snowstorm, I had to go look to see if I was thinkin about the right joint and I was and mine is out as I type and has been since I bought the truck. You might be right on cuttin it out as it is the long axle, but mine might be split right next to the u-joint as it has a boot right there but might be just a bumper to keep the axle from beating all over the place when the joint fails. No I have never changed one but will have to shortly, and I have never seen a Dana 50 IFS crack, maybe a northern thing with all the salt they use on the roads.

Delaware your right "those" forums turn into a match in a heartbeat at times.

JB Griffin

I mean no disrespect to anyone at all, just stating what I have seen and know.

Thank You Sponsors!