iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse/Igland or Farmi/Wallenstein style?

Started by FTD, January 02, 2020, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsitom

Alrighty fellas, my apologies for ghosting out on the forum.  As was noted by some above, I can be a poor forumeer at times, given to too much excitement, yea verily, agitation.  That is dumb of me

The other thing that happened is I've been playing carpenter, plumber, anything but logger all last year and into this one.  I've never been so booked up with stuff I want to do as I am now that I'm retired!  Good stuff though-we're getting things in order up at the shack.

But, Norse 250 has proven ideal for my needs.  A couple months ago, I did use it to bust out and drag clumps of larch stems still with branches, that had laid in the weeds for 2 years.  Walked that stuff-maybe 10 at a grab, using a section of choker cable to wrap bunch, then dragged to where needed.  That stuff was stuck down to the ground but the bunches came quick and clean.

Yesterday I finally started thinning my larch plantation blocks.  Fantastic.  Wish the weather was different-much too warm and snow is going bye bye, but otherwise very satisfying.  These "logs" are only about 10 inch butts, but are long and HEAVY.  This larch is odd stuff in that it grows extremely fast, has big wide growth rings, yet is much denser and heavier than an equivalent stick of pine or spruce.  What a relief, not having to hand haul them out!    Fun using the sliders and getting at 3 or 4 at a time.

I need trunk protectors since  I'm snaking out such long sticks.  Leave trees can get rubbed, so 2 5-gal buckets had their bottoms cut out and a slit up one side.    Poifect!

I'll get caught up later.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

wisconsitom

Alright, got another dumb question;. Kid knows of a half shipping container that's gonna go real cheap.  We can use.  Getting it to place, then putting in exact spot are the challenges.  Regarding that 2nd bit, moving the thing on site, I am led to believe such units-20 ft. i.e. half shipping container, weigh in around 5200 lbs.  That's just within spec pulling capacity of my Norse 250.

Not saying we're going to end up with this thing, but just for sake of discussion, those of you more experienced in using these winches , would it be at all advisable to try to position the big steel box via winch, if for some reason that looked like the way to get it into a certain spot?  Talking short distance.  Make runners?  My understanding is that most often these days, these things get transported via one-ton with some kind of roll-off setup.  More or less slid off.  I can see where I might want to reposition from anywhere a truck could back up to.

GRANITEstateMP

snatch block to help multiply your pulling power and some rollers or skids should do it.  I just set a 20ft conex the other day...but I used a CAT 938 and forks ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mudfarmer

My little kubota can shift around 40ft high cube on a gravel pad (empty) and not lose traction just hooking a chain on a corner and pulling. At work we used to move around 40ft HC with a lull, and sometimes dragged them around with skid steers. Should be fine with a 20ft.

John Mc

Just remember the weight of the container it's not the same thing as the amount of pull it takes to move it. 

Whether you can successfully move it around with your winch, what type of surface it is sitting on
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mudfarmer

Ahh man I really don't want to get into free body diagrams right now  :-X

PoginyHill

I am still waiting for the coefficient of friction for a container on gravel (both static and dynamic of course)
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

wisconsitom

Haha Pog, once we hit Mannings values☺️, I'll know we've carried this one far enough!

I haven't even seen unit yet.  But $800 asking got my attention.

mudfarmer

That's a good deal if not beat, for that price I would not expect it to be weather tight around here.

Sounds like Poginyhill is going to need a bunch of data on the aggregate size, type of rock, %fines, etc etc to get started w the calcs. Always good to have a consultant that accounts for all the variables they can! 

Thank You Sponsors!