iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this the correct way to prune dead branches with callus wood?

Started by HemlockKing, March 14, 2021, 08:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

I'm thinning my wood lot and I come across a lot of dead branches where callus wood tries to keep growing down the branch. I always cut up until the live callus wood, it leaves the tree looking ugly though, am I right to do this? Picture 
A1

HemlockKing

Only seems to happen on black spruce, rarely white or red
A1

Tacotodd

I'm not a pro at any thing belonging to the woods working world, not an arborist or logger. But, from everything that I've seen and/been told, that is the correct way to do it. I'm sure that if it's not, WE will both be "schooled". But to me, that's fine, for I'll never know unless I'm taught.
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on March 14, 2021, 11:14:46 AM
I'm not a pro at any thing belonging to the woods working world, not an arborist or logger. But, from everything that I've seen and/been told, that is the correct way to do it. I'm sure that if it's not, WE will both be "schooled". But to me, that's fine, for I'll never know unless I'm taught.
Thanks for the reply. I'm just getting educated in forestry, I've cut a lot of firewood but haven't done much work with pruning live trees and forest management. The trees that have them are typically black spruce and aged well, I didn't wanna stress them out anymore so I left all these knubs, it looks pretty ridiculous but I suppose it beats stressing the tree and killing it.
A1

HemlockKing

A1

hacknchop

I personally would prune it back as close to the ground as possible.:)
Often wrong never indoubt

HemlockKing

Quote from: hacknchop on March 14, 2021, 12:46:36 PM
I personally would prune it back as close to the ground as possible.:)
hah! I would I'm trying to keep as many as I can though, my area had bad hurricane damage, essentially had lots of tight unregulated growth and once that wind established some opening it all went timber, plus all the bark beetles and weevil destroying everything. I salvage what I can!
A1

hacknchop

I can see that now that I seen your other post in "pics of what your cutting".
smiley_whacko
My bad.
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!