iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spark Arrester Screen in Stihl MS361

Started by WDH, December 23, 2010, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

The screw that holds the spark arrester screen in the muffler has come out and been lost on my MS361.  What if I just take out the screen and leave it out?  How would that affect the performance of the saw?  I could always get another screw, but I have heard y'all talking about muffler mods, and I was curious about how leaving this screen out would impact the performance.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Reddog

WDH if you leave it out just check the carb tuning. It will most likely run a little leaner, which will make the saw rev higher at wide open throttle. So it will need to be richened up.

Just having the screen out will not make much of a mod, if you really wanted that saw to run better you would need to have the exhaust hole on it opened up some. If that is the case let me know and I can help you out on it.

The only reason to keep them in is they are required to cut on most state and federal ground. Most EU countries don't require them, and saws don't come with them there.

Oh and wow you ventured into the chainsaw forum  ;D

John R

I wonder if the muffler will really throw sparks?
Never seen one do it.
What causes the sparks?
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

beenthere

My screen is out (I could send you the screw if'n you want :) )
and I haven't seen sparks fly (but then I don't saw at night either).

I would guess the sparks are unburned fuel and/or hot carbon flaking off.

I can see spark arrestors in some bone dry forest, but think it mostly another Gov't control foisted upon us.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

I was sawing at dusk, thought I had hit metal, when I realized the sparks were from the saw. I had the same problem the screws coming out all the time. There is something to do the the crews but I forget what is was. BCSaw gave me the idea a few years ago.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WDH

Quote from: Reddog on December 23, 2010, 08:46:40 AM
Oh and wow you ventured into the chainsaw forum  ;D

After only 6800 posts, I decided to risk it all  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JohnG28

I did a slight muffler mod to my 361. I kept the stock screen in and put in a new two hole exhaust port and deflector on the left side of the muffler.  I put a screen over those holes before putting on the deflector.  I like having the saw usable on otherwise restricted land for practicality reasons. As for your screen screw that fell out I doubt the screen will come out, it takes a little pulling on it once the screw is out anyway.  The mod did give the saw more power, I think you might like if you did a little mod to your saw.  If you decide to do so the people here certainly can help you through it, they did for me. ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!