iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aspen for framing?

Started by Fredh, February 10, 2009, 07:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredh

Has anyone had any experience using aspen or poplar for framing (2x4, 2x6, etc)?  What about for b & b siding?

....Fred
fred

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

blaze83

read my mind Jeff 8) 8)

you admin types are right on top of things as usuall   :D :D :D
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Fredh

I went to that thread you suggested, Jeff.  I'm guessing the answer to my question is 'yes you can use aspen for framing and siding'!!!

WOW!  blaze83 I am truly impressed! 

Ironically, my question came from the fact that I have a lot of aspen on my property was thinking of building a workshop using it- nothing as elaborate as what you and your dad built.  I wish I had started mine 15 years ago when I was your age.

One thing I have to check is if the Building Inspectors here in Ontario will let me use ungraded lumber.

Now.....all I gotta do is buy a sawmill.
fred

blaze83

Hi Fred,

yes, the aspen works just fine for the framing material, i'm using tulip poplar for my board and baton siding, not sure if aspen would work or not....one thing I found that helped was when I cut my framing material.  I cut evrything and inch over size for width...my 2X6 studs were actually cut at 6 1/2 inches, then stacked and stickered and allowed to dray for about 4 months. When I was ready to start my construction I loaded them back on the mill and trimmed them down to the normal 5 1/2 inch width.  was a little extra work, but sure made the boards a lot nicer to frame with. I did the same thing with my joists,  I put them with the crowns up, trimmed that side and marked it with a carpenters pencil, then trimmed the other side. when I rolled out my joists I looked for my pencil marks, ensuring I got the crown up. good luck on your project...It is a very nice feeling to be able to look at the shop and know we cut the lumber ourselves,  in Ohio we still don't have a bunch of  permits to pull so I got by the aspen no problem.

God bless,

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Thank You Sponsors!