iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling wedge choices

Started by livemusic, April 29, 2024, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

Geeze Pete, they must have some weight to them. How do you carry them around all day?
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Magicman

Don't be concerned about the chain....it will buff out.  ffcheesy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nealm66

Ya, not really sure what the steely's ( what we called them) were made of. I pounded on some and they definitely lift better than anything plastic but nobody wore eye protection and it only took a few chips smacking your bare arms to get the message. They're heavy too. I think that's why they came out with the magnesium's. This was back in the 80's and a crew average of about 35 and only 4 sets of jacks so definitely some wedging and some spooky drives keeping stuff inside the units. I could actually swing a 5# 36 at one time without breaking the handle! It's funny how the different ax head brands made a lot of difference. You could hear the difference and definitely notice how they drove the wedges in.

Nealm66

Can't really wedge the hardwoods off they're lean much around here. Wood is too soft and the wedges will just smoosh in before they start picking them up if you're trying to pick up much weight. Hinge wood is really weak as well. 

Peter Drouin

I don't log for a living I have a sawmill and get logs by the truckload. When I cut on my land, most times I cut the tree so it will swing where I want it. When I need a wedge I just bring it to the tree. I rap duck tape 4 or 6 times on the end I hit and that gets all the steel chips. I know how to run a saw, no buffing. I do cut a wedge from the notched wood so as not to pinch the saw, then put in the steel wedge and give her some. and it is just as easy to put my 12,000 lb winch from a snatch block and pull it over.ffcheesy 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Grandpa

I use K&H wedges. Usually the 10" but always have a few 8" with me for smaller trees. If the wedge is too long for the tree I bore cut the tree and put a wedge in each side behind the hinge. Then tighten up the wedges and cut the trigger wood.

Magicman

Who need a wedge?

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

How old were you in that picture MM?   ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy :thumbsup: :usa:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I have certainly gotten myself into a "felling" pickle before, but not that time.  ffcheesy

I once had the wind to pick up and set the tree back on the bar/chain.  Wedges would not lift it off, so I removed the saw head and left.  When I went back later, the tree was on the ground and of course, the bar/chain were laying on the stump.

beenthere

I often, not always, use a wedge to keep the tree from setting back onto the bar. More than once, wish I'd thought to do that before it happened. More of an insurance thing, than a "must do" as it is so much easier than pounding on a wedge to raise that tree back up. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Then if you have to leave the tree, the wedges are on the stump.
Seem like we have all had to remove the head and leave the chain and bar behind.  :wink_2:
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Plankton

I use the redhead k&hs. Carry a 8 and a 12 in my back pocket and thats usually enough especially when cutting big hardwood its usually going where it wants to go with only a little tweaking. Cutting pine I might put on a wedge pouch and carry 3 or 4 if im just chopping. Extra is in the skidder if needed.

Hogdaddy

Quote from: beenthere on May 05, 2024, 09:37:25 AMI often, not always, use a wedge to keep the tree from setting back onto the bar. More than once, wish I'd thought to do that before it happened. More of an insurance thing, than a "must do" as it is so much easier than pounding on a wedge to raise that tree back up.
I do this often, also.  
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Magicman

I think that this is the same guy that needed a wedge above:

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2024, 06:44:18 PMI think that this is the same guy that needed a wedge above:

Lynn, I don't think a wedge would help that guy. He has a serious dispute with understanding physics to work out first.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

I use 12" wedges. Usually carry two in a pouch on my tool belt. If I'm working on a smaller tree where 12" will hit the back of the hinge, I'll bore a path through the center of the hinge for the wedge. 

I don't really like the wedges with the barbs on them. The ones I've seen seem to be more brittle. They are also a pain in the neck if you need to remove a wedge before the tree i tipped over. (Doesn't happen often, but occasionally I do need to remove one.) I prefer wedges that have a texture on both sides - the ones that are smooth as glass on one side are more prone to popping out. I've end up with Stihl wedges, since those are what I can find locally that are textured on both sides. (Stihl also make one that is smooth on one side that I do not like.)

I generally don't stack wedges. If one wedge isn't enough to tip the tree, I'll stick a cookie in the gap created by the first one and pound the second wedge in on top the cookie.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Nealm66

Good trick on boring so the wedge doesn't hit the back cut. Madsens sells a big yellow that is the equivalent of 2 12's if you're concerned about slipping. A little dirt or sawdust helps to keep them from popping apart but it's a good idea to keep a wedge shoved in just in case

Thank You Sponsors!