iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does Anyone Know

Started by woodhaven, August 31, 2003, 05:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhaven

Around here we have what everyone calls Swamp Oak. Its also refered to as Pin Oak and Post Oak. Is this the same as what you guys refer to as Black Oak in your part of the country or what. If it ain't then what is it?
Richard

woodbeard

As far as I know, those are all different species. What do the leaves look like?

beenthere

(Like Woodbeard said just moments before me).......
....all of the oaks you mention are different oaks. The swamp oak and post oak are in the white oak grouping, and the black oak and the pin oak are in the red oak grouping.

I suspect by some 'local' definitions, they may have some 'local' names which can make it all confusing.

Not sure this helps you, but look at the leaves - if they are rounded (lobed) on the tips, they belong to the white oak group and if the tips are pointed, they belong to the red oak group. Beyond that, identification gets more tricky but can be done.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodhaven

The leaves do look like White Oak. The wood is poor. It looks like White Oak with a bad complexion.
Richard

Larry

The lower limbs on pin oak grow straight out at a 90-degree angle to the trunk.  Black oak limbs grow out with a higher upward angle.  Post oak does the same thing but the lobes on the leaves are round.  Don't know anything about swamp oak.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

According to my book, the leaves of the swamp oak look a lot like chestnut oak and chinkapin oak. Nothing like the post oak leaves or the white oak leaves.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/qbicolor.htm

Try this site for a pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodhaven

Looks like Post Oak is winning so far.
Richard

solidwoods

An inexpensive quick ref is The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees
ISBN.  0-394-50760-6
About $25

THE VA. site looked good also Beenthere, I looked around for a link to choose or enter treetype but couldnt find it, do know its link?
Anyone have any more good links for tree ID.?
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

David_c

beenthere

Solidwoods
It took me awhile, but I think I found what you are asking for.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/factsheets.cfm

It looks like a good site for tree information (at least the pic of leaf, twigs, fruit, etc.)

south central Wisconsin

woodhaven

I tell you what guys. If I can't find it in these 2 sites its because it aint growed yet. These are the best sites I ever seen for identification. I just didn't know we had so many differant trees in this part of the country. I sure am glade I'm not the one who has to come up with all those names.
Richard

Thank You Sponsors!