iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of all the old machinery i bought!

Started by Kelvin, February 16, 2004, 03:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

If you click on this link you will see the album that says "vintage woodworking equipment" or something of that nature.  You will be able to see photos of most of the big stuff.  What i was wondering is what you guys think i might be albe to sell some of this stuff for?  Not what you would pay, but what you think i could get from the right guy, someone who is looking for this stuff, but doesn't have the time to go to auctions for 5 years till he finds it.  The monarch lathe i've seen listed on the web for up to $3,500.  Make a guess on stuff on this list.  I'm pretty sure i want the bandsaw, but if the other stuff is worth anything i might trade it in.

Monarch 54" Lathe?
Gas powered table saw (made in milwaukee, wisconsin engine)?
24" bandsaw, C.C Wormer?
Shaper? (1 1/4" w/o motor)
cool vintage motors (anybody buy these?)
Carpenters chest?
Foley bellsaw retoother and sharpener (triangular file style for circular blades, and ?)?

Kelvin

Oh, here is the --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/user/kelvinpot

Have fun, and thanks for any help.
Kelvin

beenthere

Now, RustReaper to the rescue 8)

Looks like a good find, and now to find those who might be looking for those items. Are they in reasonable shape, meaning the bearings will allow the shafts to turn?  Maybe somewhere you mentioned that already.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill_B

If  you are going to use the bandsaw you might want to rig up a shield in case the blad breaks or is thrown off. Other  than that it should work fine.
Bill B

D._Frederick

Kevin,

You really got a load of equipment, what you call a table saw is really a cut- off saw, you pull the handle and the blade comes up and cuts across the table. Years ago this was used by contractors at building sites to cut lumber to length, does the same thing as a radial arm saw.

The lathe dates to pre-WWII and the bandsaw in the early twenties would be my guess. What you can get out of it depends on the amount of time and money you want to spend to get it operational. Some of it nodoubt has collector value, but you would need to spend time at a library.

Kelvin

All the bearings seem fine and turn without much play.  The piece i called a table saw was called a table saw by the guy who used it.  It has a fence parallel to the blade like a regular table saw, and a graduated bar that it affixs to.  The blade is raised out of the bed when you step on a peddle, but we figured this was a safety device as the blade is always spinning.  If it were a cut off what would hold the wood down to the table when the blade came up?  I was thinking of using the machine this way with my sawmill, but i;d hate to have to start it all the time as it starts with a hand crank!
KElvin

Tom

Sounds like a Pop-up Saw to me.  Here is a link to one that Kent makes.  Kent is Ed Baker's brother in Ellington, Mo.who has his own pallet machine company.,

http://www.kentcorporation.com/products/cutoff/popup.html

pasbuild

Your shaper looks like the Porter shaper that I gave to a friend from church to get it out of my way.
 I found that it had little value in the open market and the guy I gave it to acted like I was giving him its weight in gold.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

etat

Had me a job one winter running a bandsaw in a furniture plant.  Right beside me a guy ran one of these popup saws cutting 2/6' for pine furniture. We were in an old tin building, mostly open, with a old barrel heater.  We were supposed to only burn scrap  Man, that pine'd burn up fast.  So, if we ran low of scrap wood he'd run full 2/6's through and cut em  the full length of the heater.  Don't stand in front of it fully loaded cause if that stack caught a breeze wrong sometimes it'd kick a flame through the door that'd shoot out a couple of feet.  Boss got on us a couple a times for cuttin up whole 2/6's.  But it was all blow cause if he got cold he'd come cut em hisself. They had a big ole nice plant just right next door, and the pay where we was was terrible, or worse so we didn't mind burning a little of the profit.  (I probably, might, oughta feel guilty about it).  If osha would have caught what that factory was doing they'd a shut em down.  Anyway I worked there until spring and decided to hunt something else. A guy I knew came in wanting me to top trees for him, 100 dollars per day and up, late 70's and that was an offer I couldn't refuse, so I did that for a while.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

D._Frederick

Kevin,

To answer you question, you would have a fence across the back positioned so that the blade would start cutting the edge of the piece being sawed in two. The cutting action of the blade would hold the piece to the table, and you would hold the piece against the fence. Works well and is fast.

Wes

was that an old hand plane chest in photo #4 ? I have one just like it, but now its a blanket chest.

Thank You Sponsors!