iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lets talk saw chain

Started by smwwoody, June 04, 2011, 08:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Hi All

First let me apologize for bringing up what is probably a beat to death topic.  I have been away from logging for about 9 years.  in the past I ran 2 full time professional logging crews in north western Pennsylvania.  Me and the other Fellers used mostly  oregon chain,  72LG or 72CK on mostly 24" bars cutting hard wood.  It cut great for us.  Now I have just got back into it and have been using  72LGX  no one carries CK around here.  I CAN NOT make the LGX cut like the old LG.  What is up?  Is it just me and my bad vision that is keeping me from getting it as sharp as i did 10 years ago?  I have not ordered any CK yet.  I see that they offer CK and CKX. What is the X about?

What chain is everyone using?  please help me out here or tell me that I just need to get new glasses.

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

HolmenTree

You may need glasses Woody :D No I'm just kidding. I never ran semi skip CK chain before only full skip CJ. But watch out for the wider cutting DuroPro 72 CKX you will find a big difference in cutting speed in hardwood over the old CK. The Duro Pro was designed for fiberous wood like cedar.
Less then 10 yrs ago Oregon changed the cutter tilt angle by taking a little of the bottom of the heel off making the cutter tip back slightly ,this cuts down on vibration in the kerf. You will notice a arrow stamped on the cutters between the rivets, they call this design change "Vibe Ban" [anti-vibe]. Then about the same time the X was added to 72LG.
I notice a slight slower cutting speed difference from the 72LGX over the old 72LG but not enough to worry about.
Before the Oregon 72LG was introduced in 1982 I had the pleasure of field testing it when I was a faller here in northern Manitoba.
BTW the 1st run of 72LG in 1982 had 30 thousands depth gauges[rakers] before they raised them up to the standard 25.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

bill m

So, someone else has noticed a difference in how the LGX cuts compared to the older LG. I thought it was just me. When Oregon came out with it a salesman gave me a couple of loops to try. Yes, I use it but have not been impressed by it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

smwwoody

I tried a Husky branded chain the other day and it seemed to cut like the old LG did.  Does anyone know who makes the Husky chains?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

komatsuvarna

Quote from: smwwoody on June 05, 2011, 02:44:31 PM
I tried a Husky branded chain the other day and it seemed to cut like the old LG did.  Does anyone know who makes the Husky chains?
Oregon

smwwoody

I haven't tried any carlton in almost 20 years.  I wonder how it stands up?

Bill,
Maybe we are just showing our age when we say the old LG did better.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treefarmer87

The older stuff was always just a little better :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!