iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Onan troubles, I thought!

Started by whittler, January 11, 2012, 08:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittler

For the last three weeks, I have been trying to saw. It would go okay for maybe half a log and suddenly just shut down. It would start back up but would only idle. Fuel!!! In trying different solutions, I replaced fuel pump, all fuel lines, filters, soaked and cleaned carb, and dumped all the gas, wiped out the tank, and put infresh fuel. This was done in steps and each time I thought I had solved the problem. Not!

Back to square one! We removed the tank and hooked up to gravity feed directly into the carb to eliminate fuel pump as the problem. The only problem was we couldn't get gas to flow from the tank. We removed the quick disconnect and lo and behold, problem solved. I don't know how it could work part of the time but that seemed solve the problem. Isawed for two days and never missed a lick!
Whittler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Whittler, some things are just hard to explain. Glad you're back to sawing!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I do not even know why I replaced my quick disconnect when it failed.  I never remove the tank.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

That is just how it goes. the things that are supposed to be more convienent sometimes cause more troubles than they are worth.
Good ya found it. Maybe by posting this ya will have helped someone else find their troubles too.PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Whittler, I had pretty-much the same problem last summer.

I'd get 1/2 to 2/3 the way through a log and the engine would die, but it would start right back up and run good at an idle, but not at full throttle.

The problem was, it was not getting enough fuel to run at full throttle.

The culprit was on me, I forgot to open the vent on the fuel cap.

Things we learn!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

I believe I had the same problem a long time ago.

I when to the auto parts store and got a new metal outboard motor boat gas tank quick connect male and female ends. And put them in, instead of the WM ones.

The plastic one that came with the jugs would cause me problems.

Since I went to the metal ones I haven't had any problems.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

isawlogs

The quick connect that came with my mill was thrown away a long time ago, I have the line straight to the tank and it has been on the mill ever since I bought the mill.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!