iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill bandsaw. Blade Roller Tensioner

Started by crhanna101, December 18, 2021, 01:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crhanna101

I recently contacted Cooks Sawmill about an item that they use to sell
It was a Bandsaw blade Roller / Stretcher that could flatten the bandsaw blade body stop a bandblade from rising or diving in the cuts
Cooks Sawmill said that the no longer make this device due to improvement in bandsaw blade metals
That today's bandsaw blades don't developed the curvature in the blade body
About 10 years ago I ran Cooks Super Sharp blades 2" wide 0.55 thick  10° hook angle , tooth set at 0.22 - 0.24 with 1 inch tooth spacing
They sawed beautifully in freshly cut Southern Yellow Pine that still had a lot of sap
And as any dull blade will do , they started rising and diving in the cut
I resharpened them and they cut straight again
I have around 20 old Lennox Woodmaster bandblades if I recall right the only difference being that they are 0.42 thick
The Lennox Woodmaster blades have never cut good from the very start
I'm wondering if a blade roller/stretcher might make them saw straight
Or if I should just let them go into the scrap pile
What do y'all think ?

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Gere Flewelling

I have one of those rollers from Cook's.  I think it might work great to flatten out those 2" blades.  Too bad they stopped making them.  I come across a blade once in a while that needs to be rolled.  I also use the roller as a blade control device when de-burring blades I have sharpened.  Gives a good flat surface and can move the blade along without cutting your fingers.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

KenMac

I saw a Cook's band roller on Sawmill Exchange last week. I think the price was $400. I was told in January 2019 that I bought the last one they sold new. They did give me a slightly different reason for not selling them any longer.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!