iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

framing studs

Started by KDEC19, January 18, 2006, 02:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDEC19

Was wondering if oak was ok to use as framing lumber?  What type of nails or fasteners would I use.  Does oak eat away at the metal.  Maybe coated nailes for the air nailer?  We have lots of oak on the farm and want to make use of it.  just want the nails to hold!!
gonna do it again......

isassi

Oak is great framing lumber...if you can drive a nail in it...  :D Now we have something better in the construction field: GRK torx fasteners. Come in all sizes and we use predominately the #10 X 3-1/2. For a little added cost, you have a screw that will not pull out, shear, or strip. You can re-use them til the head wears out. However, you must have a stout drill to drive them..these are not for ryobi/craftsman 12 volt tools  ;) Check with your local lumber yard...if they don't have them, I bet they will stock them for you and as others see them, they will take over. If you wonder how much we trust them, this is tornado country...and we drive thes up through the top plate, into the cap and in the truss...we rarely clip the trusses and we never use 16d's anymore.

ARKANSAWYER

I own a house in town that was built in the 1940's and it is all made from red oak and put up green from the looks of things.  It is solid and sound after all these years.  Regular nails were used.  Green or airdried oak is not really all that hard to drive nails into.  GrandPa always had a little chunck of Ivory soap in his tool belt and would coat the end of the nail befor driving it in.  I use it in timber frames and have found if you drive a nail in for a brace and let it sit for to long the nail will snap off befor coming out.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!