iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank You Magicman

Started by paul case, March 05, 2013, 10:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

I am not totally set in my ways, but I have a certian way I like to do things. However I had been sawing some Biguns and today I had one oriented backwards, big end toward the saw, and since MM had told everyone that is how he likes to saw logs that are big enough to need a little whittlin, I tried it. It worked great. I only had to trim a little on one log out of 4 on the small end and once I started a cut there was no more whittlin neccesary.
3 of the 4 logs I cut today were 36'' on the butt end so they took some ''bibbying'' down to get them sawed. The mill wouldnt turn them the first time. I had to help with the forklift. The total of the 4 logs yeilded over 1600bdft.

So Thank you so much Magic. I appreciate your help today.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

JustinW_NZ

Nice to see credit given where credit is due, seems rare now days?  :(

I like to saw the big end first on those big ones, means I don't misjudge when I get to the other end... (that's just me showing my newbie colours I thought...  :D)

Cheers
Justin

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

woodyone.john

Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Chuck White

Glad things worked out for you Paul.

Sawing "big end first" can save a lot of headaches!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Leigh Family Farm

And the FF comes through again! I'm just happy to have found this place and see that others are benefitting as much as me!  8)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Magicman

Say what  ???   I am glad that you had a good day Paul.   :)

Yup, I like the big ends first on the (too) biguns.  Small end first on the rest.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Ought to take a poll here.  Everyone who figured it out BEFORE loading an oversized log for the first time, raise your hand.  About the third time I had to drive in wedges so I could back the blade out to make room for the chain saw to do a little trimming, it dawned on me smiley_dark_bulb.  I figure if I hang out on the forum enough, I'll get the hang of it.  Now, if I could just remember to lower the toe rollers when I've got a flat side down, and keep the clamps lower than the blade, I'd cut some lumber (I even cut into a toe roller once, but I don't want to talk about that).
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

That's part of the secret handshake deal. never admit you saw into something on the mill that is not wood.  ;D  I have my hand out so you can shake it.  :D Everytime I do it,I feel so stupid too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!